Drysuit VS Semi Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad:

Your tolerance to the cold will play a large factor in your decision. However, since you're debating this, I suspect that you will lean toward the drysuit in the end. Nearly all of us who dive repetitively here in Monterey, California use drysuits (water temperature range 45F - 55F degrees).

A semi-dry suit is good in concept. However, it fails in this aspect. If the neoprene can't prevent thermal loss, then limiting water movement through the suit won't matter (both are necessary to keep you warm). For example, take my Whites Fusion drysuit. Its seals prevent any water from penetrating the suit. However, without proper thermal undergarments, I will freeze regardless of being dry. Considering that I have seen semi-dry suits for as much as $600, it makes sense to spend a little more and get a drysuit. You can get a Whites Fusion One, USIA or Scubapro Everdry for $1k. Since it's the holiday season, you might be able to acquire one for less than $1k or near that with suitable undergarments (always factor the cost of boots, undergarments and gloves).

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom