DS-TTL and the DX-1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI dubai-
The FOC adapter will offer better reliability and performance as mentioned in our posts above. Often the DX-1G's internal flash does not emit adequate light to transmit throught the cables to the strobe sensor. This occurs due to the TTL metering function built-in to the camera. What the adapter does is place the fiber optic cables directly in front of the camera's flash and helps transmit the emitted light more effectively.
We highly recommend sourcing part #0226 from your regional distributor or agent where you purchased the camera.

Hi,

how much does this additional part cost? I exchanged my YS110 for a YS110alpha because of the mentioned problems and I really don't want to be disappointed again when going on vacation (half of my pictures were a complete waste).

Thanks for the information :)

Best regards from Germany

HI Paula,
The part should be at no charge, these have been included with the DX-1G housings for more than 1 year, however, earlier housings did not have this adapter. Please contact your distributor for availability and more accurate information. Thank you.

I just bought a second Y110alpha coupled to the original Y110.
Sea&Sea sent me very quickly the adapter .
So far on air only, tests show better result on manual 1 mode with dial as minimal on macro mode.
Using DS-TTL mode is mixed with a lot of completely overexposed shots.
Going to dive trip in two weeks will see....

I am hoping of someone giving me the" perfect no trouble automatic set up "
Just dreaming....

Lots of fun anyway
Marc

Hi
My question is posted to Mr Sea&Sea as well as those DX1-G ownerson the forum here - I need some help and guidance.
Being the proud owner of my new DX1G YS110 strobes and wide angle lens I set about the task of getting better pics than previously.

After 16 dives in Thailand last year I am beginning to question my investment especially now the YS110 has been superceded as well as the DX1-G.

So here are the problems:
Overall - The camera seems to have much problem getting the strobe to fire with the camera - Result dim pics!

Questions: I have the fibre optic synch cords (Product No. 50107) and I have checked flash fire on surface and indeed there appears to be a problem - does the synch cord have a problem? As the Sea&sea rep points out there is an adapter - part no is 0226 (DX-1G Fiber Optic Cable Adapter), but I am not sure how this helps? On the Sea7sea housing there are 2 synch cable holes that place the "L" shape end of the synch cord in front of the flash

Any help or suggestions on this would be fab !!!
The original connectors for s TTL are lower than the build-in flash and triggers occasionally. With the adapter the S TTL connector has the best position, just in front of the flash, always firing. Get it from your dealer.

regards
Bernhard

Marc,
I have the same set up, a YS110, a YS110a and adaptor. I started getting much more reliable results after installing the adaptor.

For macro stuff I find the best settings are:
Both strobes set to DS-TTL, slave switch on and light level full.
Camera in manual M mode, ISO 100, flash on, speed 1/60 (unless trying to catch clown fish, then 1/125 or faster will be needed to freeze them). Adjust aperature to suit depth of field needed.
I have the LCD brightness set to max. I use the half press to let the camera is focus before fully depressing. The LCD will brighten momentarily during this process which is usually enough to confirm the subject position is correct, unless it's a clown fish then then it's pot luck on where it will be when the camera and strobes fire :)

Cheers

Thanks a lot Sea and Sea, it worked with the adapter :)))

everybody with problems with the dx-1g and the ys110 and ys110a: get the adapter!

Hello Treb!

Going to Kona, Hawaii in 3 weeks!...

Did you use diffusers on macro?
Also i am still puzzled with best camera setting to start with:

Auto with Sea & Sea mode. Or
Manual ISO 100 Speed 1/125 cloudy, spot focus.....

If you have the perfect "auto " easy set up dont hesitate to send it to me in details.
I like to focus on suject not changing setting at every shot....

Cheers!
Marc

Hi Marc,

I never take the diffusers out, seems to be plenty of light with them in, and amount of light not really a problem for macro. Placement is the most important factor, best worked with a bit of experimentation. Sometimes on strobe gives a better result.
I found auto with strobe does not always give the best result because the flash sync speed will be atomatically set to 1/30th and you can end up with blurred fish, especially if the background light level is already high. It is ok for static stuff.
You don't need Sea&Sea Mode with strobes.
As per my previous response, I use manual M mode with speed at least 1/60th or higher.

Cheers
Treb

Hi Treb,
Thanks for all your advices....i am reading and learning...
Do you know what is the maximum flash sync speed that can handle the camera and the strobes
In manual mode i would like to go to 1/500 : is that possible?
There is no info on Sea&Sea manual regarding speed....
Best,
Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom