DSLR Focus Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Obaby

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone offer some advice on focus lights for a D200 set-up?

As I understand it, adding a focus light will help assist the camera in auto focus.

So which one do I choose???

The price range between them is considerable - $45 all the way up to $500. I know you usually get what you pay for, and from what I can see the price reflects the beam coverage of the light (cheap light = narrow beam). The $45 dollar one actually turns itself off before the flash fires to avoid a hotspot, but you still have the problem of re-aiming the focus light if your distance/angle to subject changes, so I guess I'm ruling out that one.

So the 3 broad beams I'm thinking of are the:
- HG20DX fix focus light
- hartenburger mini electronic focus light
- hartenburger nano

Has anyone used any of these focus lights?

The nano is a lot bigger and heavier than the other 2, which is a shame as I've heard its the most reliable, but I'm really trying to cut down on weight.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

I've had the Fisheye for a while now and am 100% happy. Burn time om the battery is 40 min if you leave it on full brightness all the time, you can get longer if you turn it down.

I own the Fisheye and 2xHartenberger Nanos. The Fisheye is a good light but on a recent trip both of my batteries died. This is not an uncommon problem with this light, lots of threads on it. It is at the shop to see if it can be reparied. The Hartenbergers have proved reliable so far and seem to be very, very well made. Burn times are about the same, power the same but the Hartenberger lights seem to cast a little "whiter" light.

If Fisheye works out their QC issues than I would say it is tie. But at this point I would not buy another Fisheye.

yes i've been reading about the fisheye bulbs burning out after 15hours as well (if they make it that long), Andrew any comments?
mjh, can you make any comparisons between the mini electronic and the nano? Have you found the nano to be a bit heavy or is it no big deal? By the way, what time of year were you in PNG?

My first bulb went at around 15 hrs (very aproximate) but the 2nd one must have at least 35 hrs on it.

I did not really consider the Mini as we are using the Nanos as Video lights for our very simple setup. Looking for a minimum of 20watts. I never had a problem with the bulbs on the Fisheye the problem seems to be they way the batteries charge especially if the current is inconsistent like on a live aboard. We were in PNG Chirstmas of 06 it was great. Leave for another Mike Ball trip, Coral Sea, in 12days!!!

I just got the Fisheye for my birthday and like it so far. Two friends I dive with most weekends use them, too. I haven't heard them complain about having to switch out the bulbs but I have heard that the life span is pretty short. I just haven't seen it.

So far I have kept mine mostly off on the 6 or 8 dives (all a minimum of 60 minutes) and only switch it on when I need it. I haven't found any need to turn it up past the minimum even while wedged clear under a ledge in the dark dark - ymmv.

I'm one of the friends Kristin mentioned. I've had my Fisheye Fix light for a couple of years now and have only just replaced my second bulb after close to 200 dives. I only turn mine on when I need it and only as bright as I need (I rarely use it at full power).

There are lower rated bulbs available for Fix Light that are much cheaper and have a longer life but are not as bright as the genuine article. I know you can get these from Ryan at Reef Photo & Video.

With regard to the battery problem with these lights, I had a problem with one battery early on and this was replaced under warranty. This was a recognised problem and they changed suppliers for this item and I haven't had a problem with any of the batteries since (I have two batteries and my wife Mary has two batteries for her Fix light).

I read recently that there is a problem with the Fix light batteries if you leave them in the charging base without the power turned onto the charger base. Apparently the battery will slowly self discharge and if you leave it long enough the battery will completely drain and reverse polarity. The result is a dead battery.

Back
Top Bottom