DSLR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica:
I am in the market to purchase a DSLR. Can anyone recommend a certain one, and the best place to purchase it. I would of course, need a underwater housing and accessories to go with it.

And, the big question is, how much will everything cost?

First off, question is too broad without knowing what you do or want to shoot.

Second, as to money, you're going the wrong way, Jessica. First question is what is your budget?

Absolute cheapest way to go right now?
Canon 300D $1000
Ikelite housing + dome = $1400 (Actually, Ocean Brite just noticed a boxy yellow housing for $1000)

That's $2400 absolute bargain basement.
Add a macro lens ($300) and port ($200)
Add a WA lens $400
Add a strobe and arms ($4-600)

As you see, it's a lot of dough. If your budget is higer, you can start looking at an S2 or D100.......

ChrisM Second:
I'm not surprised to hear that I'd be spending at least a few thousand. I want to be able to take excellent quality, publishable photographs and if I have to invest a few thousand to do so, that's fine with me- credit cards are my friends.

nusspli:
I'm not surprised to hear that I'd be spending at least a few thousand. I want to be able to take excellent quality, publishable photographs and if I have to invest a few thousand to do so, that's fine with me- credit cards are my friends.

Wanna adopt me then??? :cheeky:

Just remember, cameras don't take good pics, people do.

If you have absolutely no UW photgraphy experience, a DSLR is going to be quite a learning curve. It's not a "shoot right out of the box" proposition. A point & Shoot, a la Oly 5050 would serve better (even tho that also has a learning curve). Apologize if I've assumed anything incorrectly, you may have a lot of experience already.

Chris

ChrisM:
Just remember, cameras don't take good pics, people do.

If you have absolutely no UW photgraphy experience, a DSLR is going to be quite a learning curve. It's not a "shoot right out of the box" proposition. A point & Shoot, a la Oly 5050 would serve better (even tho that also has a learning curve). Apologize if I've assumed anything incorrectly, you may have a lot of experience already.

Chris

Chris,

I do have UW photography experience and I am looking to upgrade to a digital camera, probably an DSLR....

And, no I don't want to adopt you :wink:

I made the jump from a point and shoot film camera to housed Nikon D100. I do have a fair amount film, above water, experiance so I did not find the learning curve for shooting too steep, now PS has proved to be another issue. People have noted costs for basics but don't forget CF cards, travel case, softsided case for on boats, possible media storage device for long trips, software for editing pictures, rechargable batteries (for two strobes I needed 16, two sets charging and two in strobes) etc.... I looked at every possible system, for 6 megapixel DSLR camera, two lenses, 2 ports, housing, 2 CF cards, pelican case, batteries, focus gears, o-rings, strobes, arms, etc... NEW you will pay around US$6000, minimum.

The reality is any system you buy will be "outdated" in 1-2yrs so I figured buy the best you can afford and live with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom