DSS Gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but tell me why do you think this important?

Tobin

thelegend enquired in hs post: "Are there any design differences that really make a difference between the two?"

It might make a difference to him.

thelegend enquired in hs post: "Are there any design differences that really make a difference between the two?"

It might make a difference to him.

Maybe if he believes in the Tooth Fair and the Easter Bunny.

The reality is on the list of what matters in wing design horseshoe vs donut is way way down the list.

I answered his question with "stuff" that matters.

Donut wing Myths:

Myth #1 Donut wings are easier to vent, i.e. with a donut you can move the gas around the wing easier.

Reality, the lower arc of a donut wing is the absolutely lowest part of the wing, and as such it's the last part to ever fill with gas. To transfer gas across the lower arc of a donut wing requires the diver be ~45 degrees heads down.

To get any gas into the lower arc of a donut wing requires the lower arc of the wing, which is UNDER the lower portion of the cylinder(s) to be the high point of the wing.

Myth #2 With a donut wing it's not possible to trap more gas on one side to offset the weight of stage bottles

Reality, see above, donut wings are no easier or more difficult to use to balance an offset load. Gas in a wing doesn't magically "know" it's in a donut wing, and no longer subject to the laws of physics, gas in a donut wing can't go DOWN under the lower end of the tanks and across to the other side.

Myth #3 Donut wings provide more lift at the hips

Reality, wings provide lift only where they have gas in them, the lower arc doesn't have any gas in it for a horizontally trimmed diver. It's quite possible to design a donut wing with more lift at the diver's shoulders. examples are the DSS Torus 38 and Torus 49.

Myth #4 "Well I had a horseshoe style BC and it sucked, now I love my XYZ donut!!"

Reality, Ease of venting is related to tank wrap. An oversized, wide center panel horseshoe style wing (or back inflate bc) can be a chore to vent when compared to a smaller capacity, narrow center panel wing. Narrow horseshoes vent easily, and narrow donuts vent easily, i.e. shape and capacity have far more influence on wing function than donut vs horseshoe.

Tobin

Well I had a horeshoe style bc and it sucked, now I love my dss 49# donut!!

LMAO!!! Thank you for that one.

But also, Thanks to Tobin for the useful info. But what would you say are the important things that go into wing design besides shape and capacity?

LMAO!!! Thank you for that one.

But also, Thanks to Tobin for the useful info. But what would you say are the important things that go into wing design besides shape and capacity?

Materials, construction and components.

DSS wings (except the TTW17 and SS12) use true 1050 ballistic Nylons shells and 22 and 30 mil urethane bladders.

Inflator hoses that are not too long and custom made OPV's complete with 3mm cords.

Tobin

Tobin,

I noticed that you don't put a ball on the pull cords for your OPVs, just a knot. Is there a reason for this? Or is is just for less bulk or something?

Tobin,

I noticed that you don't put a ball on the pull cords for your OPVs, just a knot. Is there a reason for this? Or is is just for less bulk or something?

The knot is all you need. We do fit a much thicker 3mm cord. A ball or "toggle" can end up entangled with your left hip dring, or caught between stage bottles.

Tobin

Tobin,

Thanks a lot for the info. When I get closer to purchasing the rig I'll be sure to definitely give you a call.

Back
Top Bottom