DSS hog harness buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am working on assembling my first hog rig and had a couple of questions:

1) I noticed that the DSS site and included instructions suggest to put the buckle on the left side, this is different then other suggestions I have seen that put the buckle on the right side right? Is there just two different opinions?

2) How do I thread the buckle? I can't quite tell from the pictures on the DSS page or the included instructions, I tried the search functions but all the old links that people link to are either dead now or they are for a buckle with three slots on one end of the buckle. The DSS buckle has 2 slots on one end and 1 on the other. One way I had heard it done was to come "up" through the first, down through the second and then up through the third, wouldn't this leave the belt coming out the other side of the buckle? It was my understanding that the webbing was supposed to come out the same side of the buckle it came in (in other words if the buckle is on my left side, then the end of the webbing should be running back along the left waist strap when I am done) Am I missing something? Is it ok for the webbing to come out the other end of the buckle and not thread back through?

Any recent pictures/links/diagrams that anyone can link to?

Mine is threaded on the left just like a weight belt. Some thread it on the right to keep from accidentally releasing it in an emergency like you would a weight belt. I don't wear a weight belt so that hasn't been a concern for me. I like it on the left so that I can easily put on and remove my canister light and mask pocket. If the buckle was on the right, how would you get your canister light off if you dive one?

I've threaded mine as you describe and yes, the belt material sticks out beyond the buckle on the other side. That's no big deal. I've trimmed it to about 2" beyond the buckle. This extra material is sandwiched between the right side of the belt and my exposure suit when the harness is fastened.

Back
Top Bottom