DSS Long plate with Halcyon Evolve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangrovejack

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased the long pattern backplate from you guys to use with my Halcyon Eclipse wing on my singles rig. The plate is working fine, but one thing that I do notice is that the plate goes over the valve. This is not really a problem underwater as the air lifts the wing from the plate to be able to dump.

My question is I am setting up a doubles rig and was wondering if with the double tanks and the Halcyon Evolve wing whether it will jam on the dump valve making it harder to dump?

Also, is there any chance of getting an aluminium version of the long pattern backplate?

Thanks.

Hi,

I purchased the long pattern backplate from you guys to use with my Halcyon Eclipse wing on my singles rig. The plate is working fine, but one thing that I do notice is that the plate goes over the valve. This is not really a problem underwater as the air lifts the wing from the plate to be able to dump.

My question is I am setting up a doubles rig and was wondering if with the double tanks and the Halcyon Evolve wing whether it will jam on the dump valve making it harder to dump?

Also, is there any chance of getting an aluminium version of the long pattern backplate?

Thanks.

We don't make aluminum plates, we do make Kydex plates. The Kydex Plates are lighter out of the water and less negative in the water than aluminum.

The Kydex plates are routinely used with doubles.

Your coments regarding the dump valve are an excellent illustration of the potential conflicts that might arise when mixing plates and wings.

We don't have examples of every wing and plate combination possible, and cannot test every possible combination.

This is exactly the type of thing that concerns me when I'm asked "Will your plate work with XX wing?, or Will your Wing work with YY plate?"

Regarding Plates and doubles wings. My would expect the dump valve on any doubles wing to be much further offset from the center line of the wing. Remember the center panel of a doubles wing is going to be at least 9 inches wide or wider. If not the tanks would trap the bladder against the plate.

The rear OPV has to be out side this area.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for your reply. After posting I realised that yes the OPV won't get blocked by the plate on a doubles rig, however I'm wondering if the wing will on the bottom between the plate and the double tanks due to the donut nature as opposed to the Explorer which is a horseshoe.

I also realise that you are a manufacturer of wings, so my question is would something like the Torus 38, Full Circle Style Doubles Wing be trapped on the bottom using the your long pattern plate?

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for your reply. After posting I realised that yes the OPV won't get blocked by the plate on a doubles rig, however I'm wondering if the wing will on the bottom between the plate and the double tanks due to the donut nature as opposed to the Explorer which is a horseshoe.

I also realise that you are a manufacturer of wings, so my question is would something like the Torus 38, Full Circle Style Doubles Wing be trapped on the bottom using the your long pattern plate?

When mounting doubles the tanks actually contact the back plate at the harness slots, because the webbing is thicker than the plate. That holds the plate away slightly.

For a short wing like a T-38 with a LP plate you might limit the lower arc of the wing from inflating slightly, but given that the lower arc of the wing almost never has any gas in it any way, it's not a big concern.

Remember with a donut wing, ours or any other, the last part of the wing to fill with gas, for a horizontal diver is the lower arc. The lower arc is under the bottom end of the cylinders.....

Tobin

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Mangrove,
I don't know what size Eclipse or Evolve you have, but I can tell you that the dump valve on my Evolve 40 is about 4" farther to the outside than my Eclipse 40. If you are talking about a 30 Eclipse and 60 Evolve, I can only assume the distance probably alittle more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom