DSS Torus 26 and Halcyon SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henrik242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if the Torus 26 slot bands and screw holes are compatible with a Halcyon SS backplate?

I tried emailing DSS, but all I got back was rude content and zero information. Really not a good way to run a business.

Last edited:
Would you consider moving this to the general BC sub-forum? Currently it is posted in DSS's own sub-forum, and by your comments it does not seem like you are currently seeking DSS's input. It might seem to them like you are "in their house" but asking other people to come in and provide information on other manufacturer's products.

I can see where DSS might not be able to provide confirmation that their gear fits with other manufacturers' gear.

I own a DSS rig, and I would be happy to post some information that might help you, but I would rather be posting in the general BC sub-forum.

Blue Sparkle

Does anyone know if the Torus 26 slot bands and screw holes are compatible with a Halcyon SS backplate?

I tried emailing DSS, but all I got back was rude content and zero information. Really not a good way to run a business.

Not true. I answered your question........twice. Providing an answer that's other than you expect is not rude, it's simply the truth.

What I know for a certainty is DSS wings work best with DSS plates... beyond that things get problematic.

I have no way of knowing what level of compatibility *YOU* expect. Throw me most any wing and most any plate and I can probably find a way to make them work, but "It can work" does not equal every customers idea of "Compatible"

What if the cam strap holes don't line up perfectly? It probably possible to force them through the wing, but will that make *you* happy?

What if when the cam strap slots line up the holes in center spine don't? Will you be satisfied, or will that result in a dozen emails and panicked forum posts?

What if the built in "wobble stopper" found on DSS wings works less well on a plate with a different center channel profile? Will you be happy with that?

Remember, we don't test every 3rd party plate with our wings.

Remember too that many (most?) plates sold today have been subject one or more revisions, meaning we may have never see the plate you plan on using. When other brands make a change they don't send me a memo.

I even had people tell me I have a brand XX plate, and it turns out that they really don't, but the guy that sold it to said it was a genuine Brand XX.

Keep in mind that there are no standards for BP&W's none. There are endless possible variations. What one customer considers "OK" another may consider unacceptable.

Sorry if that's not the simple yes or no answer you wanted, but it reality, I can't say if *you* will find a franken rig to your liking.
I'd much rather say "I don't know" than to have you buy something and be unhappy.

Tobin

I just asked an honest question, no need to go into attack mode. It's not a problem, I'll just do my business elsewhere.

I just asked an honest question, no need to go into attack mode. It's not a problem, I'll just do my business elsewhere.

Who have I attacked? I'm not the one calling others rude.

I'll also point out that there is a huge difference between forum members providing advice based on their experience, and when I am asked for a professional opinion.

When Joe diver tells you all plates are the same and any wing will work on any plate, he has no liability if you act on that advice and end up unhappy.

If I were to tell you "sure, no problem your plate will work with a DSS wing, and you decide it's not perfect I do have a liability.

Tobin

I can totally understand what Tobin is saying. He knows that his complete rigs will have a high level of fit and finish, because he makes them. But he can't say that once you start to mix and match.

That said, I have both a complete DSS rig and a "mix and match" one. I like the ability to pick and choose and put things together myself. But I knew it would be up to me to figure out in advance (as well as I could) whether they would fit together, and also knew that if/when things did not align just right, I would make modifications.

I've seen other threads where other manufacturers or merchants sold a combo that worked but was "a little off" in fit and the customer was rightfully not pleased after paying full retail. I know I would not be.

I prefer it when a merchant admits if they are not sure about something, vs. "oh sure, no problem" when they really don't know. (Granted DSS may not always come across as sweetness and roses, but their data is accurate in my experience.)

Blue Sparkle

Are you kidding? you just got the best, most complete, answer possible! How was that "attack mode"?

With skin this thin, you may want to consider extra padding with that backplate. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom