DIR- Generic dual bladder wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is DIR sub forum.
What is the point of asking anything on double bladder or bungee wing?

Because this is the place where you are most likely to find people who can explain why they don't think that it's a good idea. Isn't that the point of DIR, that you have a good reason for every equipment choice?

It's not just a social club for people to hang out and agree with each other all the time...

Because this is the place where you are most likely to find people who can explain why they don't think that it's a good idea. Isn't that the point of DIR, that you have a good reason for every equipment choice?

It's not just a social club for people to hang out and agree with each other all the time...
I can accept if anyone who has no idea on the concept of DIR/GUE training.
But the person who raised the question had done 4 courses. Surely he/she should had asked the question in the beginning. I had read the manual of F-course yrs ago and there is clear explanation on double wing and bungee.

I thought the term DIR is obsolete.

Maybe this is my ignorance, so educate me. I consider myself to be DIR observant (or at least, Hogarthian) on OC gear, but I never trained with GUE. And I have issues with that agency that I won't bring up here.

From what I understand, DIR is more of a philosophy of diving, while GUE is a training agency. So for the purposes of what is acceptable in this forum, I think that it's a problem if we elide the difference between the two.

This is DIR sub forum.
What is the point of asking anything on double bladder or bungee wing?
And from someone who had done 4 courses!
To get the perspective of others in the community maybe?
I can accept if anyone who has no idea on the concept of DIR/GUE training.
But the person who raised the question had done 4 courses. Surely he/she should had asked the question in the beginning. I had read the manual of F-course yrs ago and there is clear explanation on double wing and bungee.

I guess forgive me for not yet having heard an explanation that completely sold me?
I didn’t know 4 courses meant you’re no longer supposed to have questions. And that if you do have a question you MUST ask an instructor instead of getting multiple points of view on a DIR sub forum.

Maybe this is my ignorance, so educate me. I consider myself to be DIR observant (or at least, Hogarthian) on OC gear, but I never trained with GUE. And I have issues with that agency that I won't bring up here.

From what I understand, DIR is more of a philosophy of diving, while GUE is a training agency. So for the purposes of what is acceptable in this forum, I think that it's a problem if we elide the difference between the two.
GUE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to exploration, conservation, and education. DIR is the philosophy the gear and protocols were built upon.

I think it has already been explained in this thread as to why a double wing with both inflators hooked up is bad. Another DIR principle is to dive a "balanced" rig. Another DIR principle is to dive a dry suit if doing technical dives. I am not DIR or GUE and I know these things. There is a difference in seeking knowledge and understanding and simply fighting the answer you get for the sake of fighting it.

GUE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to exploration, conservation, and education. DIR is the philosophy the gear and protocols were built upon.

Sorry, GUE isn't a training agency?

"DIR" would only become obsolete if an alternative generic term came into widespread use. Like @doctormike, I wish there were such a term, because "DIR" carries some baggage. GUE no longer uses the term, and I don't know about UTD. So, "DIR" remains the generic term for the philosophy or style of diving or whatever one might call it. GUE and UTD offer their own flavors (species?) of DIR.
And note that anyone starting a thread in the DIR forum can add a tag if their question is directed to either GUE's or UTD's species of DIR. If the tag is left "Generic," as in this thread, I would assume the thread is directed to generic DIR.

I think it has already been explained in this thread as to why a double wing with both inflators hooked up is bad. Another DIR principle is to dive a "balanced" rig. Another DIR principle is to dive a dry suit if doing technical dives. I am not DIR or GUE and I know these things. There is a difference in seeking knowledge and understanding and simply fighting the answer you get for the sake of fighting it.
Dry suits aren’t a requirement for technical diving in GUE. Only with steel tanks or if you can’t swim up double 80s.
I’m not fighting or challenging answers. I was simply questioning a piece of our own dogma that had admittedly not made much sense to me. I liked the answer that isn’t about an additional failure point (as was my assumption) it’s more about how the failure would be managed in a dual wing that’s problematic.
In the courses I’ve done, it’s totally possible this particular question was talked about at some point but probably not an in-depth discussion.
What I don’t understand is why some people have an issue with a person asking a question about DIR philosophy on a DIR sub forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom