DIR- Generic dual bladder wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None. Each bladder is connected to separate first stages. Essential for extreme depths where the water takes hold of you.

That's a dangerous thing and has killed people.

I don’t understand that concern either. You hook up the left inflator to a second stage like usual. You use it like you usually do, using that bladder to offset however negative you are (a balanced rig hard to achieve in doubles and a thin exposure suit). In the VERY unusual case where THAT inflator/bladder system fails open from a leaky elbow or whatever, you just add gas to the backup bladder for buoyancy, using oral inflation of the right side.

Is the concern about simultaneous failure of both separate independent inflator/bladder systems? You aren’t supposed to be using both sides during the dive…

1. Trying to identify which inflator is stuck open can be tricky if two are plumbed in. Just plumb one inflator in, you can orally inflate the other.

2. If it's your left side that's plumbed in, and you have it connected to the right post, if you get a stuck inflator it's easy to manage - use the left hand to manage your buoyancy by pulling the dump valve on your left hip while using your right hand to shut down the right post, then disconnect the inflator hose, re-open the valve and you're good.

Humility: they realize that they don’t know everything, and that there may be more than one right way to do something. Their ego doesn’t get in the way of learning, doing or teaching.

Open mindedness: they never reject something just because it’s new or different, and they listen to other viewpoints. They don’t fear change and they’re not threatened by differing opinions.

Analytical: they accurately and realistically weigh the merits of a technology or procedures for themselves and never accept something just because it’s new or because someone else thinks it is better. They don’t let what they like, dislike or want to believe, influence their conclusions.

Competent: while they’re open to change and alternative ways to do things, their own methodologies are solid and they can demonstrate a rationale and realistic basis for each. They’re quietly confident about how they dive, and they don’t choose their methodologies based on looking cool or what someone else might think or say.
This person is a bot.

1. Trying to identify which inflator is stuck open can be tricky if two are plumbed in. Just plumb one inflator in, you can orally inflate the other.

2. If it's your left side that's plumbed in, and you have it connected to the right post, if you get a stuck inflator it's easy to manage - use the left hand to manage your buoyancy by pulling the dump valve on your left hip while using your right hand to shut down the right post, then disconnect the inflator hose, re-open the valve and you're good.
This maneuvre would be cumbersome to perform when you have two AL80s under your left arm. The easiest solution is to disconnect both inflator hoses and reconnect if possible. Double bladder wings are crucial for depths below 250 feet when using a wetsuit.

I honestly just get tired of putting on a drysuit sometimes 😅 I don't dive a dual bladder wing. I dive compliant with the DIR philosophy because it's the only tried and true method that is also standardized within a community.
This question was just kind of a "I know this is the standard but I don't understand why" kinda question.

Yeah, the double bladder wing isn't necessary if you have a balanced rig, I agree.

Honestly, what failure point exists on a diver in a wetsuit with a dual bladder wing that doesn't exist on a diver in a drysuit with a single bladder wing? Same number of inflation valves. Same number of dump valves.
1. Try contacting your instructor he should be able to answer.
2. if #1 isn't working: contact an instructor local to you: GUE Instructors
AFAIK most GUE instructors will answer you seriously even if not taking a class with them.

Go diving.
Matan.

There’s no way you’ll be able to oral inflate fast enough to compensate a sudden massive loss of wing gas. You’re toast. Your ears are toast.

Oral inflating is a 2 hand operation and you’ve got three things to do. Reg out, inflate, and clear ears. And you’re sinking while this is going on, so each breath that goes in the wing is being compressed as you descend. It’s a losing battle. Plus almost everyone seems to tuck that 2nd inflator back somewhere and it’s not immediate access.
When diving tec in a wetsuit I dive a redundant bladder, I also don't use power inflators, and even if I did TDI, PADI Tec and IANTD teach never to connect both power inflators. 2*15l 300 bar tanks and 4 stages was the heaviest I have gone and I'm yet to become a lawn dart. There is a terminal velocity to a diver, around a meter a second usually, less with that many stages producing drag. Your claim makes it sound like you break the speed of sound while going down.

I am curious to hear some stories, if it doesn't bother you, thanks :)

The most recent death that I remember involving a stuck inflator wasn't a dual bladder wing, but it was a stuck inflator with a significant amount of deco. Site was the doria, 2017.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom