DUI Dog Days at the Pelham Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am hoping to be there on Sunday. I have to finish up an emergency home improvement project first though. Planning on Sunday afternoon.

I will not be able to make it. I was looking forward to trying a drysuit. I had a lot of stuff to do at home and now I am sick, so I would not have been able to dive anyway.
You guys have fun.

I arrived at about 9:10 on Sat. and was greeted by 100 other divers when I went into the parking lot. The place was the most crowded I've ever seen. Fortunately the scuba gods were with me and I was able to back up my pickup right on the front row so setting up was easy. From what I heard, there were over 60 people working getting everyone ready for drysuit diving. I went straight to the beginning of the line and after about 35 minutes of measuring and getting gear, I was ready to go into the water. The platform was full of divers all day. At one time, I counted 47 on the main dock. They took us down in small groups. On my first dive, I had an instructor all to myself though. Drysuit diving takes a little getting used to. I had a little suit squeeze when I first got in and every time I tried to inflate the suit, the air would go straight out the neck seal. I finally got used to it and had a great dive. I had to learn my boyancy all over again but it was fun. The water has warmed up a lot over the last few weeks. There is a thermocline to about 20 feet now that is 64 deg. My first dive was only 25 minutes at a depth of 68 feet. After hanging out and eating lunch, I did a second dive. I decided to go with a friend so I dove wet. We did a dive that lasted 56 minutes and a max depth of 84 feet. The vis in the morning was great. By the afternoon, the place was a disaster with the bottom being kicked up. Fortunately there were areas that we could go to get away from the major silt. The deep end was pretty clear.
They said that there were 130+ divers that tried dry suits on Sat. That was a great crowd. I stayed for the dinner that night and they had a great presentation of pictures and comments on the many places the DUI folks have dove. The food was from Jim and Nicks which was great. The had a drawing for door prizes and I even won a T-shirt. It was a great day to go out there. I went by on Sun. and there was again a great crowd. I met several SB members there and a lot of old friends that used that weekend to start their diving season. Sorry you guys missed it.
Steve

A reminder that the Dive Rite folks will be there on April 28 and 29...

That's right, I forgot about that. I guess I'm going to miss that one. I'll be thinking about you guys though while I'm in Bonaire:D

I was there and did a test dive in one of their suits, and generally it went well. Weighting was a problem for me (I'm a fairly small guy and dive a backplate and hardware weighing about 9 pounds). I wish I could have tried out one of their BCs but they said they didn't have enough extra weights as I would have needed, since a good portion of my weight is in my backplate. I loved the first part 15 minutes of my dive, but after that, my buoyancy became a problem. It was kind of a struggle after that, unfortunately, and I wasn't all that comfortable.

I'd like to do it again, next year, if not sooner, but I'll make sure to bring enough weights so I can try out a weight integrated system.

Dive rite will set up under the tent at ABWA and you can try all their products. I don't think that you can try their drysuits though. The also will be giving away door prizes at the end of the day to those that tried some of there stuff. I was there last year and they had a lot of stuff to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom