DUI Turbo soles getting to much air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do find, though, that when I'm diving a cave with a profile that's going to require I do some acute head-down work, I'm better off just squeezing the heck out of the suit and using the wing for buoyancy for that segment. (The entrance to Mayan Blue comes to mind.)

I have kicked out of attached boots and out of overshoes. I have even kicked out of attached boots with finkeepers on them. I'm not sure there is a foolproof way to prevent it, although the Velcro ankle straps on my new Turbosoles look as though they'd go a long way toward preventing the whole fin/sole unit from departing my foot. Having had that happen to me in Twin Cave, I do not want to take the risk of it ever happening in a cave again. (Or anywhere else, if it can be avoided!)

Like I said in the 1st thread, I'm new to drysuits, but, i allways think no matter what we are doing that it can be better. Take the Turbo soles as an example. Super comfy and no extra gear. I think they need some help and then they can be way better without adding a bunch of gizmos to them, Fin keepers ect. I think maybe some rubber on the achilles area like wetsuit boots and maybe a beefier strap sewn to it that raps around the ankle that would cut oof airflow a bit, and a little more rubber above the sole to help with abraision. It would be nice to come up with a kit that could be a glue on. I would like to hear some ideas.

Fin keepers work well. I do more shore diving than anything so I am using rock boots, but while I was waiting for my rock boots to come in I used fin keepers, and had great results. I too am new to diving dry, but will more than likely keep with my rock boots. I do not find that I am hindered any more by them then I was with my instadry boots when diving wet.

Like I said in the 1st thread, I'm new to drysuits, but, i allways think no matter what we are doing that it can be better. Take the Turbo soles as an example. Super comfy and no extra gear. I think they need some help and then they can be way better without adding a bunch of gizmos to them, Fin keepers ect. I think maybe some rubber on the achilles area like wetsuit boots and maybe a beefier strap sewn to it that raps around the ankle that would cut oof airflow a bit, and a little more rubber above the sole to help with abraision. It would be nice to come up with a kit that could be a glue on. I would like to hear some ideas.

The velcro ankle wrap on my turbosoles (CF200X) seems to do the job for me. I managed to rip one of them off by mistake (stepped on it while walking), so I use the velcro strap that came with my wrist slate (I use bungies instead) for that foot. I crank the straps down about as tight as I can go, and never seem to have any problems. Other people use gaiters with success.

The turbosoles are relatively easy to get into or out of (I always have to step on the back of the heel to get the one off my right foot, because I'm not that flexible on that side), but lousy for walking on anything but sand or smooth pavement.

They also make it very difficult to turn the suit fully inside out to dry it -- it can be done, but you're really putting some strain on the seal around the base of the turbosole, you'd better have strong fingers, and figure on 5 minutes or so per foot. For a tri-lam drysuit that may not be a big deal, but for a CF200 and probably a 50/50, if you can't turn the suit completely inside out it takes just short of forever to dry. I usually turn the suit inside out except for the very last bit of each leg that includes the turbosoles, then stuff wadded up newspaper inside them. That get's most of the water out, but it's almost always a bit damp.

When these wear out I'm thinking of going to neoprene socks with external boots, because we have some rocky entries or long walks, and I'm likely going tech down the road so will need/want something with a lot more support and protection. I can feel every pebble through the turbosoles, and that's with a single tank.

Guy

Hey, here is an idea. What about a sole insert of some sort of softer flexible rubber. That would take care of slop in the fit and give more protection when walking on rocky ground. I think I will try it. I put this stuff inside hoof boots and it works great for fit and horses that need a bit more help with there soles. It comes in different thicknesses and densitys. You could truely have a custom fit. What do you think Guy Alcala.

Hey, here is an idea. What about a sole insert of some sort of softer flexible rubber. That would take care of slop in the fit and give more protection when walking on rocky ground. I think I will try it. I put this stuff inside hoof boots and it works great for fit and horses that need a bit more help with there soles. It comes in different thicknesses and densitys. You could truely have a custom fit. What do you think Guy Alcala.

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. That would provide some protection to the bottom of the feet, but wouldn't do anything for ankle support or protection. I've either got a smooth sand or boat entry, or else I've got a clamber down and through rocks from pebble-size up to algae-covered boulders. For those dives, high-topped protection and support is a really good idea.

Guy

I think a rubber or gel insert in the turbosoles to increase the padding for the feet on rocks would be splendid.

Also, I've gone from attached boots to socks and rock-boot type footgear and back to turbosoles. I don't think there is a perfect drysuit foot solution. Attached boots crack, they can be hard to fit, you can kick out of them, they don't have much ankle support and they may or may not have a thick enough sole for rocks. Socks with some type of overshoe can be problematic if the socks aren't fitted (extra fabric to stuff into the shoes). They require that you remember another piece of gear. The overshoes may or may not fit in your existing fins. You may be able to kick out of them, and if you lace them up enough to prevent this, you may get very cold feet. On the other hand, there are boots with excellent ankle support and thick soles (the White's Evos are wonderful for this).

Turbosoles have some of the best and worst of the other two. You can't lose or forget them, unless you forget the whole suit. They don't crack (but the neoprene can wear through). If they are properly fitted, there's no extra fabric. The soles are thin and have little padding. They can hold a LOT of air if you don't use something to compress them. On the other hand, they do allow your insulation to loft, so your feet tend to be warm. I have to stuff mine with socks to make them fit in my L Jets. They're a real PITA to turn inside-out, as mentioned.

There's no perfect answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom