DUI's new Zip Seals....concensus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody used these yet? To me, it looks like three more potential points of leakage entry, but I'm curious as to what anyone who's used them thinks.

I have them and they seem pretty sturdy and secure. I tried pulling on them as hard as I could to see if they would snap off and they didn't so that was a good sign. I guess only time will tell, but right now I am happy with them.

I have them and they are very tough.
I have made about 40 dives on them so far and no leaks or problems of any kind.
If you were to pull on them I think the latex would rip before the ZipSeals came apart....

I just ordered a set of ZipGloves. It will be so nice to have dry gloves without the obnoxious hard plastic rings!

It is also nice to be able to carry spare seals in my save-a-dive kit. If I ever manage to rip a seal then I will have a new one installed in a matter of minutes.

--Dan

Agreed with everyone else. Only minus is if you damage the ring (not the seal), the whole setup becomes a lot more expensive...

Good news. I feel a whole lot better about them now. I haven't made any dives on them, but I wanted feedback (good and bad) on them.

Some folks have told me that they are problematic, but overwhelmingly the response has been positive.

The one thing I forgot to mention is the neck hole. It's a lot smaller than w/out the zip seal. Not a problem to don but a real pain to doff.

Arnaud:
The one thing I forgot to mention is the neck hole. It's a lot smaller than w/out the zip seal. Not a problem to don but a real pain to doff.

I have definitely heard this. just last night, actually. I heard that you really have to make sure the neck entry is straight up and down when you put it on, otherwise it feels like your "being born."

I never had any issues with the neck seal being too small. Donning & doffing my suit with the ZipSeals feels about the same as the normal DUI suits. (I tried 4 of 'em during the DUI Demo Days: TLS350, FLX5050, CLX450, CF200)

Maybe you all have really big heads? :sarcasm: Or maybe it is just that my 0.25 inches of hair gives me a more streamlined head....

The one thing I did notice is that when I am "vacuum-packed" I can feel the ring from the ziplock part of the neck seal pressing on my collar bone. It felt a little weird at first, but I don't even notice it anymore.

--Dan

Dan The Man:
...Maybe you all have really big heads?...

To be clear, I'm not talking about the seal. The seal has been cut and works fine for my neck. The "problem" is the zip part that's not much bigger than my head...

Two of my buddies have the new DUI and they both have sent them back to be fixed. DUI's always leak anyway and those zip seals are expensive to install and replace. Talc your seals and keep them out of light and they will last forever. The guys at USIA showed me how to maintain them. Seals haven't been replaced for 2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom