Dull diving knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke to an SP rep at BTS a couple of years ago when their new Mako knife was announced (nice knife btw.). He said that they are not allowed to sell knives that have both edges sharpened. So they were to sell the knife with the serrated edge sharp (much more difficult to do yourself), and leave the other edge (the back if you will) tapered but not sharpened. Could be something like that going on.
Henrik

Actually in some parts of the US (california) position of a "double edged" knife is illegal, i believe. They are considered "daggers" and are not legal outside of your house. If you got to online knife sites they often say something like they wont ship to xxx.

If my memory is correct (and it IS fading :( ) i think its a felony here.

Well I can see why that is the case however it also would not surprise me if a knife specific to certain sports would be considered as specific cases and they would be allowed. Just a guess though

Actually in some parts of the US (california) position of a "double edged" knife is illegal, i believe. They are considered "daggers" and are not legal outside of your house. If you got to online knife sites they often say something like they wont ship to xxx.

If my memory is correct (and it IS fading :( ) i think its a felony here.

I wonder if it doesn't count as double edged if one edge isn't sharpened, and this is a way to get around it? At least for the seller?

hmm...that sounds odd to me though. I wonder why all kitchen knives are sharp.

I prefer to get a sharp one from the store. I can REALLY screw it up if I try to sharpen it myself.

And I'm talking DULL here! not just "not razor sharp" but I ran my finger up and down the blade edge (right on the edge) and didn't feel a thing. Darn thing wouldn't even cut a plastic bag...POS.

Thought we were talking about dive knives not kitchen knives. BTW some kitchen knives, the cheap ones, are dull and will not hold an edge.

As far as the double edge -- That was the legal issue I was talking about, but could not remember the specifics.

to both of the "newbie's" here... I have been diving in cold water since '05 and us a Tusa Imprex that I picked up online for $20.... It has never been razor sharp but I have never sharpened it and tho I rinse it after every dive.... I store it in it's scabbard hanging on the tank rack on my boat.... about once every couple of weeks I take the whole thing apart and clean the rust build up off and wipe it down with 3 in 1 oil.... I have cut everything from bullwhip kelp to down rigger cable with this knife and never had it fail me.... I also do alot of scalloping and prying with this knife and it has served me well... So as far as needing a "sharp" knife it is my opinion that that isn't really necessary.... I also dive with the local Search and Rescue Dive Team and we carry small Victornox serrated knives that cut really well and are pretty cheap.... Hope this helps both of you :ar15::cool2:

You might have your buddy try scraping the rust off his knife.... it worked for me.... and I have had alot of luck with 3 in 1 oil rather than silicone.... but whatever works.... works....

Some knifes are just like that! Maybe you bough a clam/oyster knife, I never seen one sharp.
If the tip is pointy then the knife should be more or less sharp or you make it sharp but if it is flat/blont tip they're not sharp at all.

Will your knife "hold the edge"? The El Cheapo types do not! :)
but i've seen the Tusa blunt tip with both edges sharpened; also the Atomic Ti6 blunt-tip! are they exceptions??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom