Dumaguete/ApoIsland/Dauin or Moalboal in Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
my husband and I are planning a dive trip to the Visayas this November. We have 11 full days to play with and have decided to spend 5 of them in Malapascua. That means between transfers and everything we have another 5 days to spend in another location. I've done a lot of research and it looks like both Dumaguete/ApoIsland/Dauin and Moalboal would both be great choices and we're having trouble deciding where to head. We're both AOW in our 20s with a moderate number of dives. We haven't done a lot of muck diving so I'm not sure it's our thing and though we have a camera, it's not our primary concern to get great photos. We'd really love wall and drift diving and would like to see some healthy corals. Any thoughts on which to go to, and which is best during November? We're looking at Mike's to stay at in Dauin but could use some recommendations on places in Maolboal.

Thanks!
Ashley

Great drift dive in Coconut Point in Apo Island. You can probably spot a few pelagics as well.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk

I like Dumaguete a great deal, but then muck diving for macro critters is my fav kind of diving. As to Moalboal, just personally I don't think it has as much to offer as many other places, outside of diving Pescador Island. I'd recommend Dumaguete for the best overall diving experience..it will introduce you to the muck world (plus you might like it!) and give you more varied options to try in day trips to Apo and Siquijor where you can get in some good drift/wall diving. You've got one other easy destination to consider geographically from where you are already going..Bohol, but I'd still recommend Dumaguete. Great choice for a first stop in Malapascua..that's my favorite dive destination in the Philippines.

....We're both AOW in our 20s with a moderate number of dives. We haven't done a lot of muck diving so I'm not sure it's our thing and though we have a camera, it's not our primary concern to get great photos. We'd really love wall and drift diving and would like to see some healthy corals.
Alona Beach(Bohol) probably suit U2 better. Choices of dive operators, resorts, restaurants, watering holes etc etc and a bit of sight seeing to throw in as well eg. Chocolate Hill and Tasier monkey.
Getting back to Cebu from Bohol is quicker than Dumaguete

I agree with Centrals. If you are flying in and out of Manila and assuming you are into experiencing some world class muck diving, Anilao is the place to go.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. We plan on flying into Manila and then heading straight to Cebu in order to hit Malapascua. We don't really want to interrupt our diving with another flight so I think we're definitely going to focus on places reachable from Cebu via bus/taxi/ferry. I've definitely seen mention of Bohol around but is the diving superior to Moalboal? I've seen varying opinions with more leaning towards Moalboal but perhaps this is time of year dependent? Watering holes are nice but we have them at home, first class tropical diving we do not! :)

Id say Bohol is superior to Moalboal with the added benefit of far more to do above water. You could still go Malapascua to Dumaguete in one day without flying...drive to Cebu, afternoon ferry to Dumaguete.

If the weather forecast is bad(typhoon season now) go to Moalboal otherwise either Bohol or Dumaguete is so much better unless the sardines are back at Moalboal.
There are also operators based on Mactan Island which is where the International Airport situated.

Alona Beach(Bohol) probably suit U2 better. Choices of dive operators, resorts, restaurants, watering holes etc etc and a bit of sight seeing to throw in as well eg. Chocolate Hill and Tasier monkey.
Getting back to Cebu from Bohol is quicker than Dumaguete

I would make the same recommendation. You could get from Malapascua to Bohol in one day if you start early and shorter by a couple of hours if you take van or car. I've been to Malapascua 13 times then Apo Island, Dauin and Bohol 3 times each. But I've never dived Moalboal. I have photos of all on Flickr with locations tagged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom