Dumb color choice question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. Black and blue 14.7% and blue color only 8% of shark attacks. Nude divers were 16.2%. Interesting. The majority were wearing black as would be expected since most divers wear black. Comparing race: white folks totaled 95.3% while black folks totaled 2.2%, Mongoloid/Orientals 2% and Polynisian/Asians .7%. Probably a reflectiion of the percentages of those who are divers. Or maybe whites are more tasty. Who knows.

shark stats aside, I'd go for the black and blue. I don't think blue is a colour that's going to disappear from gear in the near future, so it's not like you're going to end up in a black and blue suit with brown mask and fins. and if the blue fades a bit, so what? are you really trying to directly match the blue of your fins and stuff to the blue in your suit? probably not.

An old muskie fisherman saying, (on lure color)

"Any color is good, as long as it's black!"

Obviously most of the Scuba fashionistas come from New York.

Seriously, Black is the most common color because it's the safe choice from a sales standpoint. While someone might like, blue someone else might hate it, but nobody hates black, or refuses to buy it. So if a manufacturer decides to offer choices, he'll also offer black as the standby color.

It's the same logic used in the auto industry, where you'll always have the choice of a silver, or silverish color.

I thought yum-yum yellow was the fav for sharks.

The defense of black was an interesting read but still very subjective. I don't think anything I own matches and honestly, I don't care. When it comes to dive gear, I look for function over style every time with color being the last thing I consider.

With that being said, I would think you would be safe with blue, black or yellow.

If you follow the recommendation of the people who know color. You would go with Mimosa, or Yellow.

About Us - Pantone Selects Color of the Year for 2009: PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa

[c]
image2.jpg
[/c]

Maybe, but I think Cousteau conducted a test once that showed sharks also liked yellow. Of course, that was just one study so hardly conclusive.

I try and keep all my gear black.. I will be changing my secondary regs hose from yellow to a black miflex soon which will leave the actual reg as being the only yellow on my setup.

Back
Top Bottom