DUMB PT-015 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sijtse

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize in advance.

Okay, I have a C-5050 and just got the PT-015 housing. Included in the box is a rubberized weight that screws on the bottom. I understand so far. But then there is a washer with a red string attached to it that was with the weight. What is that washer/string for? Is it supposed to separate the weight from the casing? That seems unlikely, since the weight is rubberized and wouldn't damage the case anyway. Whatever, I am confusued.

Thanks for pointing me to the 5050, so far I love it dry and am excited to get it wet.

I think I wondered that when I received my PT015 housing in the mail, too. The material included was not clear, and I had to do some online research to figure out what that washer was for.

Basically, that washer is what you use to "screw in" the weight to the bottom of the housing. That's it. You don't need to keep it in the housing. Just keep it (or something of comparable width) handy when you want to add or remove the weight.

Best wishes with your new purchase! Be sure to post some photos when you have a chance!

cheers,

{ps - are you interested in our Southern California Oly Users Group? We are working on getting one started}

oh yes, i agree with sapphire, dont feel bad at all about asking that or any question. i asked the exact same question when i received mine and i believe it was Dee that gave me the answer. the ONLY dumb question is the one you DONT ask.

steve

Actually, that washer is for removal of the o-rings. At least that's what olympus indicates it is for. Personally, I don't bother with it as you can just squeeze the o-ring until it lifts out. I suppose you could use it to tighten the weight, but it's kind of flimsy. A coin I find works better.

warren_l:
Actually, that washer is for removal of the o-rings. At least that's what olympus indicates it is for. Personally, I don't bother with it as you can just squeeze the o-ring until it lifts out. I suppose you could use it to tighten the weight, but it's kind of flimsy. A coin I find works better.

Gee, I don't know about that Warren. I would think you would damage your o-rings if you tried to get them out with that washer. I received a thin guitar pick thingy to remove the o-rings, carefully. The washer, being a thicker metal ring, would not be able to gently ease an o-ring out.

:)

Sapphire, I think I could be wrong. But I was looking at the contents list and there's supposed to be an o-ring pick, and the washer thing was the only thing left that I could not account for. I thought the same thing about damaging the o-ring, so I don't use it also.

The o-ring pick is very small and thin, white, triangular shaped with rounded edges, it is easy for it to be unnoticed. Go through all your packaging again to see if you can find it... or you can use something the thickness of a DAN card, if you have one of those, it is about the same thickness...

Sapphire, you are right - my apologies. I re-checked the manual, and I believe my PT-015 was missing the pick and I erroneously assumed the thin washer was what they were referring to. Although now I wonder what the washer is for. I'll have to go through the box and see if it is there. Not a big deal either way as I've been managing without it anyway. Thanks.

Thanks everyone - it all seems perfectly clear now... The washer does seem to work as a screwdriver.

Sapphire: Sure I'd be interested in the user group. I am starting to check this board regularly now, too. I'm going on a short dive this afternoon at Old Marineland, but not sure if I'm going to take my Oly. I might wait for a more special trip to one of the islands.

sijtse:
Sapphire: Sure I'd be interested in the user group. I am starting to check this board regularly now, too. I'm going on a short dive this afternoon at Old Marineland, but not sure if I'm going to take my Oly. I might wait for a more special trip to one of the islands.

Great - keep a lookout here in the Oly Corner for more information soon...

Have a great dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom