Dumb Question from Dave Dillehay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the past I pretty much dismissed flying on Mayair to Cancun because of reliability issues (in the past). Next Tuesday I have a !:25 pm flight from CUN to Puerto Vallarta and the scheduled Mayair flight to Cancun at 11 am would be perfect…if they actually run it. If they don't it would be a big problem for me.

Does anyone have recent experience that could give me some confidence, or skepticism?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS No reason I should not get some good advice from this forum!

Last edited:
Not worth the risk to me. The ferry and bus are very reliable yet I still go back assuming that I might get one delay in either of those two methods (ferry and bus).

I have taken Mayair about half a dozen times over the last few years,never a problem. Either time or weight.

I have booked 40-50 seats in the last year or so for us, friends or family without a hitch. Couple of year ago I had a flight about 10 minutes behind schedule. I personally have been on that 1100 flight lots of times as that is usually the one I need. That is just my experience over the last say 5 or so years, using them several times a year.

In fact, I flew over once, had my flight to Baltimore canceled, Mayair got me a flight back and I was eating deep dish at Ohana by 7. Then they flew me back the next day to try again.

And Ron I just heard the 0930 ferry didn't leave until 1000 the other day. That might have made me late for my flight. Mayair has yet to do that to me. So dependability-wise, Mayair all the way.

And the weight can be a negotiable issue, however they aggregate everyone in the party, ie all the bags weight for average weight.

And Ron I just heard the 0930 ferry didn't leave until 1000 the other day. That might have made me late for my flight. Mayair has yet to do that to me. So dependability-wise, Mayair all the way.

You want me to believe that a 30 minute ferry delay would have made you late for a flight?

You want me to believe that a 30 minute ferry delay would have made you late for a flight?

1. I don't like LEAVING Cozumel, so I tend to leave at the last possible minute. When my therapist was diagnosing me as a Cozaholic, he said it was clearly a desire to miss my flight and stay another day. :)

2. My usual plan, before SW took over, often saw me jumping a Mayair, telling the Lomas driver "Primero, Terminal Dos!" and getting to the counter 70 minutes before my flight. The one time Mayair was 10 minutes late, I got to the counter 59 minutes before the flight. The checking in person said, "it is only only 59 minutes to your flight," and I flashed her a winning smile and then ran like a maniac to get to the plane.

3. So yes, a 30 minute delay on the ferry could impact my flight, possibly. However you look at it, it is 20 minutes LONGER than I ever experienced on Mayair. My point being Mayair, in my mind, is just as reliable or more than the ferry.

I do like to live dangerously Ron. It isn't a life everyone can handle.

I walk in the street on 15a occasionally to avoid the broken sidewalk.

I never check CO or analyze my nitrox.

I actually ride the moto we won in the Rodeo de Lanches and all over including 65 in rush hour traffic wearing flip flops too.

I eat every botanas they bring me at El Fish, regardless of what it looks like.

I order my margaritas para adulto.

Perhaps you have seen me riding in Coz?:

james-dean-motorcycle-photo.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom