Dump Valve "leak" or just overpressure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjjjeremy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

I've spent most of the day servicing, fitting, and rechecking a Dive Rite Transpac XT and Trek Wing. After smoothing surfaces, putting on new rubber, trying to make the spring a bit harder, and putting on some silicone grease, I can't for the life of me get the lower dump valve to seal when the wing is fully inflated.

Am I just over inflating it? At what point is the dump valve supposed to leak to avoid popping the bladder?

Thanks!

Yup. It's supposed to leak to prevent popping the bladder. It will leak when the force on the sealing surface equals the spring force pushing it back.

I'd be careful changing spring tension as you could cause either a seam to blow. Does the wing feel stiff when inflated and the OPV is sealed?

I'd be careful changing spring tension as you could cause either a seam to blow. Does the wing feel stiff when inflated and the OPV is sealed?

Good point didn't notice that in the OP.

To the OP, why do you want to change the spring tension?

The wing still felt soft even though it was leaking. Significantly softer than any of my other non-leaking BCs. I can get the other dump valves to leak with moderate lung pressure, but this valve was leaking before it seemed full. I just went out to check on the new spring I put in, decided it was too stiff, cut a bit off, and now it seems alright.

Just found out that Dive Rite had a recall on this exact spring. I sent them and email, and will call them and my Dive Rite LDS tomorrow.

The recall was for the spring rusting and eventually weakening/breaking, so if it's not rusty/broken... that's not the problem

The recall was for the spring rusting and eventually weakening/breaking, so if it's not rusty/broken... that's not the problem

1+.

You should be able to inflate the wing orally until it is pretty darned firm, with no leaks. The OPV should release air if you then use the inflator and attempt add air beyond this point... that is normal.

Sounds like the OPV needs to be replaced.

Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom