Dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwbrewer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I managed to succesfully buld myself a lift bag, now all I need is a dump valve to keep it neutrally bouyant on the ascent. I could buy a BC style valve, but they want a rediculous amount for those. Anybody have any ideas other than buying an old BC and removing the valve?

Thanks

Jake

dump valve diagrahm.gifClick For Larger Image

well i thought it would scan up better then this but oh well. let me explain. you will notice an outer sleve and an inner sleve. both are pvc

the solid black lines are flat neoporene rings that are secured to the inner sleve and sandwiched for much of there surface area between two washers. this creates four separate chambers. the inner sleeve with rings slide up and down inside the outer sleve.

note: the valve is shown in the closed position (all the way up)
note: the valve must be upwright to function
note: this is 1 and 1/4 X 3 and 3/4 inches

top chamber; allows water to flow in wich releives the lock that would be present otherwise

the next chamber down provides closing force for the valve via tiny holes at the base of the chamber and maintains positive pressure up. keeping the valve closed(the holes are inside the bag)

the next chamber down is the air release chamber. the inner sleeve in this chamber has holes drilled in it wich vents it to the olny open end, the top side (water side)

as the inner sleeve is pulled down, air is introduced from the next chamber down. the available air chamber. this chamber is vented to the air at the top of the lift bag. so as the neoporeene slides past the holes drilled in the outer sleeve, air rushes into the chamber, through the proforated inner sleeve and out of the bag. when released the valve returns to the closed position.

what is not in this diagram is a lot of things; like a mechanical stop at the top, a spring set to aid in closing (may not be needed), a way to connect to the bag, or a gaurantee. when i set out to design this i thought the end result would be a lot different. this could be turned in to something usefull but is a prototype at best. i have exact specs for almost every dimension of this thing so if you want em lemme know and i will pm them to you. also if anybody has any idea how the neoporene would behave @ depth lemme know. well its been fun. i hope you enjoyed figuring out the operation of this thing as much as i did. take care

JW

Here is my idea for a valve...(attached)

Attachments

• 100_1044.jpg
    100_1044.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 73
You could always make a dump valve. They aren't very complex.

Dolphin Scuba in Ca. Sells a easy install pulldump like Carter lift bag company uses for $15 dollars.. It works great for all types of bags..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom