Dusk diving is pretty cool!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I never realize how cool diving at dusk hours was like. We were running a little late and we thought we would just have a lot of day light left but as our day progressed we didn't make it in the water till late in the afternoon. The thing I thought was really cool as the dive went on and it became a little darker is that the water seemed to look clearer to me. We did decide to also bring dive lights since we were going in pretty late in the day. We actually did turn them on when it got darker and lots of fish started to come close to check us out.
snapshot-8-6-18-2016-5-28-pm_orig.png

It was pretty amazing!
How many of you have had a cool dusk dive?
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
I had gone out before on several night dives with others, when it was pitch black, but never late in the afternoon towards dusk. I was always trying to figure out how I could persuade my wife to try night diving and we kind of found a happy medium by accident that day. She liked this particular dive a lot. As a bonus we surfaced as the sun was setting, we had a spectacular ending to our dive. By the time we reached the shore it was pretty dark and she said I can't believe you got me to go night diving!!!

Try the dusk side
Frank G

Last edited:
I never realize how cool diving at dusk hours was like. We were running a little late and we thought we would just have a lot of day light left but as our day progressed we didn't make it in the water till late in the afternoon. The thing I thought was really cool as the dive went on and it became a little darker is that the water seemed to look clearer to me. We did decide to also bring dive lights since we were going in pretty late in the day. We actually did turn them on when it got darker and lots of fish started to come close to check us out.
snapshot-8-6-18-2016-5-28-pm_orig.png

It was pretty amazing!
How many of you have had a cool dusk dive?
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

My wife an I were also amazed that viz improved at night. She did her first night dive during her AOW course and fell in love with it. We jumped in as the sun was setting down over the nearby mountains. Turns out huge catfish love the nightlife. I'm throwing out a SWAG that during daylight the light reflects off of every speck suspended in the water column making viz worse. At night the only light is the one (two or more really) that you brought with you.

I love sunset dives. Watching the light change under water, the different critters going to sleep or waking up. It is the most relaxing diving IMO. ☺night dives are pretty cool, but I suffer from disorientation, so they are not as relaxing. Dusk dives are the best of both worlds!

I love sunset dives. Watching the light change under water, the different critters going to sleep or waking up. It is the most relaxing diving IMO. ☺night dives are pretty cool, but I suffer from disorientation, so they are not as relaxing. Dusk dives are the best of both worlds!
Haven't thought of a dusk dive but might try it -wonder what a dawn dive would be like?
one of my favourite dive moments is laying on my back at 3-6m when its raining hard and watching the rain hit the water

I saw mandarin fish spawning at dusk in Menjangan, Bali & walking shark coming out at dusk in Raja Ampat.

I like the evening dives. The whole site changes as the dusk deepens. I noticed the lobsters got a heck of a lot more active too.

dusk to night dives are the best.......kinda like shift change with the sea life.

In fact, just set up a dusk dive for this evening. Sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom