Dutch scuba fans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We signed up for DAN a couple of years ago when we started travelling to remote locations in the Philipines and Indonesia. Some resorts there require DAN or something similar.

Never needed it but should something happen I know they will help me without questions asked. Technical diving is also covered so for us it now really is a no-brainer.

I'm insured via Univé and they seem to cover scuba diving at least to some degree. Their terms aren't very specific on what they do and don't cover, apart from an explicit exclusion of incidents related to cave diving (without specifying when a dive is a "cave dive").

If you're uncertain about coverage with your current provider, just give them a call. They should be able to specify which kinds of incidents and costs are covered. If they don't, or can't, I would probably sign up for DAN just to be sure, even if just for this trip.

Thanks. I called them before...that was why I was doubting...basically it is part of the regular travel insurance, without added proof or without any terms or conditions. Atleast DAN is really clear about coverage and rules.

We signed up for DAN a couple of years ago when we started travelling to remote locations in the Philipines and Indonesia. Some resorts there require DAN or something similar.

Never needed it but should something happen I know they will help me without questions asked. Technical diving is also covered so for us it now really is a no-brainer.

I feel the same, it is one of those things that are good to pay for...and hopefully never have to use. Read a lot of good things about their service.

Atleast DAN is really clear about coverage and rules.

Yeah, that's probably why it's pretty much the industry standard, and it's required by some resorts, as @rduquesnoy pointed out. I'm thinking of subscribing to DAN as well, even without traveling abroad, just to be sure I'm always sufficiently covered.

Yesterday I was diving the Felicitas mine. The diveplan was visiting the deep section, because my buddy me were both diving a ccr and trimix.

Yeah, that's probably why it's pretty much the industry standard, and it's required by some resorts, as @rduquesnoy pointed out. I'm thinking of subscribing to DAN as well, even without traveling abroad, just to be sure I'm always sufficiently covered.

Just to be done without any hassle, I've subscribed to DAN. Feels better then the regular insurance.

Just another fun/training dive with sidemount gear.

How cool! The swim- through at around 1.00 shows that I have a long way to go before considering more advanced types of diving, so narrow haha! Amazing!

Last monday I made a fun dive at NEMO33 in Brussels. Was a nice experience to land flat at the bottom at 33m. and realize dept is not an issue. Another step of experience :)

Last dive at my LDS at 21,5m it was 7 degrees, ok-ish visibility. So 33m at 33 degrees and clear vis was much easier.

With the experience of cold water, moderate (rec) depth and bad vis, I think we as Dutch divers are pretty well equipped for dealing with 'easier' circumstances.
What do you guys (obviously more experienced than me) think about this statement?

Oh, and next weekend I have a non-Diving speciality class planned: React Right. So I can do the Stress and Rescue class in September.
Looking forward to these ones!

Last monday I made a fun dive at NEMO33 in Brussels. Was a nice experience to land flat at the bottom at 33m. and realize dept is not an issue. Another step of experience :)

Last dive at my LDS at 21,5m it was 7 degrees, ok-ish visibility. So 33m at 33 degrees and clear vis was much easier.

With the experience of cold water, moderate (rec) depth and bad vis, I think we as Dutch divers are pretty well equipped for dealing with 'easier' circumstances.
What do you guys (obviously more experienced than me) think about this statement?
Hello again! I think that's a true statement, though it depends of course. I've seen divers with "Dutch experience" scatter like flies in Indonesia because the visibility was so good (me among them...it was a while ago), sometimes it's hard to remember the buddy system I guess. We learned a lot at debriefing :D.
The other way around is when tropical divers dive here for the first time, and until now I've had only easy-to-lose divers, one of them even a Divemaster with 300 dives. They improve quickly, though.
Overall Dutch divers are pretty good and some dive stores I've been to acknowledged our experience pretty much instantly when we told them where we usually dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom