Dutch Springs 22 February 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchfin:
Where did you do dives at Vadim? Cool stuff,ain't it? Ice Diving rocks!

Wingdale, NY. it was a solid 10" of ice. the viz was really good until people started to kickup the silt (the usual event). Depth was about 40ft...

The water wasn't too cold. about 38-39F. Most of us been to these kind of temperatures diving here on the wrecks if you go deep enough, but never that drastic. only my neck got cold a bit... what do people do in Antarctica? wear some sorts of neoprene scarf?

By the way! love my dry gloves! the best peice of gear I have ever bought (next to the spring straps, which is also irreplaceable)

Anyway, back ot the subject - I will try to be at Dutch that weekend too. BillB, let us know if it's Saturday or Sunday for sure.

-VT

Sean,

I have a propane torpedo heater I was planning to bring along. I usually use an inverter to power it but if you have the power bring it on!

Grunzser was going to bring the cooler of hot water and I will bring a large thermos of hot water for defogging and cleaning masks.

If your C-Card does not have a DS04 on it then don't waste time, go to http://www.dutchsprings.com/index.htm and download the waiver and fill it out ahead of time.

Both days are looking good but Sunday is definite for me. If I can not dive on Saturday, I know other instructors who may be there and I will give all the info as required. A decision will be made by Sunday evening about Saturday diving.

And of course, stay in touch with the weather guessers.

Everyone will have to meet me at the Dutch office in order to be admitted. Time is 9:45 AM both days. The lake is opened at 10:00 AM.

Great! I'll bring my camera to get some underwater shots. The viz should be awesome!

P.S.
PST is back-ordered on their tanks, so I won't get my doubles until late March or even April. sux!

Grunzster, I'll give you your pony then if you're coming... Anyone else wants to buy my tanks (or you know someone who needs a good steel tank?)

hehe... I already sold my OMS 112 to Izzy, and my pony to
Grunzster,.. I have my OMS 125 left, which I am definatelly ditching after this dive.

BILLB:
Sean,
If your C-Card does not have a DS04 on it then don't waste time, go to http://www.dutchsprings.com/index.htm and download the waiver and fill it out ahead of time.

I'm good, I got the '04 season pass this past fall and the '04 sticker when my ice dive class did an open water practice in Jan.

I'll bring my generator, that way you don't have to leave your truck running to power your inverter.

My wife found our crock pot and we have a couple institutional (gallon) cans of Campbells chick noodle soup that I will bring. It'll be nice to have hot soup between dives.

Can someone bring a folding table?

Sean,

As to a table, there are lots of tables and they will fit into my shelter, but, for all divers wanting to dive, please look at this email I just received from Dutch Springs:

Bill,

I do not think that the lake will be available. We canceled an instructor who wanted to come in today. The ice is too thick to break through but not thick enough to walk on. Therefore, we decided it was not safe. Our temperature is below freezing an night but above freezing during the day.

I may leaving Sunday for vacation. Kevin will be making the call next week. You can check back with him then.

Stuart W. Schooley
Dutch Springs
4733 Hanoverville Rd.
Bethlehem, PA 18020
610-759-2270
FAX 610-759-9441
stus@dutchsprings.com
www.dutchsprings.com

Stu rarely emails me in person so I am flattered. I will keep up with the communication until they absoultely say NO! I did invite Stu to join the Scuba Board and in particular participate with the Wreck Valley divers.

If we do go diving and several have expressed a desire to dive both days, the air fills at Dutch will not be opened. I have enough tanks to do several days of diving. I was going to return home on Saturday and I could take tanks with me to be refilled at Under Water World (Horsham, PA). But, I am now going to stay at my RV in the mountains (about 45 minutes in Jim Thorpe, PA). The Scuba Tank shop may be open which is on PA 512. I will give them a call and see how late on Saturday they will be open.

Or, If anyone likes, I can bring some AL80's from UWW at cost to those who will need additional gas.

VT - I'll there both days or whichever day we are going, if they're even open. :frown2:

I'm stopping tomorrow to get fills, tanks for the offer, though, Bill.
(hmm, I was going to fix the spelling there, but...)

I have a small folding table and some camping chairs, but judging by Bill's comments, sounds like we won't need them.

I'll have a camera too, for above water shots.

I'm also bringin a good sized steel cooler of hot water.

Is there anything we're missing?

BILLB:
Sean,As to a table, there are lots of tables and they will fit into my shelter

Yea... you're right.... its just that a picnic table is kind of awkward in a tent with the benches and all. No problem with using one though. We just normally have one of those folding banquet tables 4' and they work well. very space efficient.
:happyjaz:

grunzster:
VT - I'll there both days or whichever day we are going, if they're even open. :frown2:

I'm stopping tomorrow to get fills, tanks for the offer, though, Bill.
(hmm, I was going to fix the spelling there, but...)

I have a small folding table and some camping chairs, but judging by Bill's comments, sounds like we won't need them.

I'll have a camera too, for above water shots.

I'm also bringin a good sized steel cooler of hot water.

Is there anything we're missing?

Did you get your hood in the mail yet? Still not sure how I ended up with both. I'll bring my camera again! See you there.

if it's open there's a good chance i'll meet up with you guys on sunday.
i guess we'll wait and see what kevin says.

as far as ice around town, (hudson, raritan and tributaries),
it's been melting. i actually saw lawn in my yard today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom