DX-1G vs. dc800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadds49

Registered
Reaction score
I have a sealife dc500 with strobe and wide angle lens. I am thinking of upgrading to the new dc800($500). I am also considering the 10mp Sea & Sea DX-1G.($2400 for the camera, wide angle lens and strobe). Does anyone have any experience with the DX-1G? I would like to know if it is worth the considerable investment. Third option, a housing and strobe for my Canon 8MP EOS SLR.

Hi scubadds49

I went from your current setup to the Sea&Sea DX-1G, similar setup as what you are considering. It is indeed a considerable investment. I did upgrade because I wanted to have more control over my camera. The DC500 is a very nice camera and is able to take good pictures, but the shutter release is slow. That means that it is a great camera for rather static objects. Most of the time the fish is gone before the shutter releases. That problem seems to be solved with the DC800, although I don't know if it is done through the "shark mode" that was available on the DC500. That is not a real solution.
The main difference is that the DC800 is still an automatic camera and the DX-1G is defenitely not when used under water with a strobe. So that means that you have a bit more work under water, but that is the consequence of wanting more control over the camera. Also the DX-1G has a RAW-mode and the DC800 does not. When you have worked with RAW-mode you don't want to go back to images that are already processed and compressed in the camera.
So, in my opinion, a lot depends on what you are looking for: a better automatic camera, then go for the upgrade to the DC800, or a camera that allows you more control over the result (while shooting and in the processing afterwards). If the latter is the case then you have to go for the DX-1G (when coosing between these 2 cameras).
There is one major disadvantage of the DX-1G and that is that the LCD panel is dark when used under water in manual mode. You have to work in manual mode when using a strobe and that means that the use of the LCD-panel is very limited. Other than that it is a great camera. If you really want everything out of your camera than you should consider a DLSR-camera in an underwater house.

Thanks for the valuable input! I have taken some very nice pictures with the DC500. My main question is-are the pictures taken with the DX-1G that much better than the DC500 to warrant the extra &2500 investment? For $1000 I can get the DC800 with their new digital strobe and add the digital strobe that came with the DC500. I understand that 2 strobes make a great difference in picture quality.

I would say go for the DC800!

A month ago I was in the exact same position as you, trying to choose between the DC800 and the DX-1G. I read up about the DX-1G camera, and the camera itself had gotten some mediocre reviews (as an above-water camera).. Of course, reviews are for guidelines and inputs, not decisions.

I guess what made me finally decide, was the price. I spoke to a lot of UW photographers at my dive trip yesterday, and they all praised the DC800. But the one thing they all said: The thing it all comes down to is the person behind the camera. Of course, the equipment really helps too.. but I would go as far as too say this: If you get the DC800 Pro Setup (with a strobe) and add the second one you've got.. you got a really impressive setup that is guaranteed to produce good photos!

As gustele pointed out, some divers/photographers want to be able to control everything. Me, I'm a sucker for automatic settings :p Who knows, maybe that'll change as I progress. But during my first dive with the SeaLife DC800 yesterday.. I could just drift along, follow the fish around, dive into caves.. all this while looking through the LCD of the camera!

I hope this helped, and that I did not confuse you more! :)

EDIT: Right.. 5 months old thread.. Did not see that :p

Back
Top Bottom