E-PL3 and S&S Flash YS-D1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The flash must be set to fill for TTL to work. In fill mode the flash will fire a preflash which will trigger a preflash in the strobe and it is this preflash that allows TTL to set the correct intensity for the actual strobe main fire. If set to 1/64th the flash is in manual mode and no preflash is fired to trigger TTL metering. I use S2000 flashes so if I have fill flash on my camera I set the strobe to TTL and if I have the camera set to manual (1/64th power), then the strobe duration (intensity) is determined by how the strobe intensity is set in manual mode on the strobe.

Would what you said apply to S&S YS-D1 strobes also?

Yes I believe it would. I have not used the YS-D1 but I have reviewed the manual. Both strobes have manual and TTL modes and both have the ability to adjust to no preflashes or preflashes in manual mode although the method for doing so is different. They both allow the user to adjust the light intensity in TTL mode. Incidentally the Olympus PEN cameras do not preflash in manual mode.

The flash must be set to fill for TTL to work. In fill mode the flash will fire a preflash which will trigger a preflash in the strobe and it is this preflash that allows TTL to set the correct intensity for the actual strobe main fire. If set to 1/64th the flash is in manual mode and no preflash is fired to trigger TTL metering. I use S2000 flashes so if I have fill flash on my camera I set the strobe to TTL and if I have the camera set to manual (1/64th power), then the strobe duration (intensity) is determined by how the strobe intensity is set in manual mode on the strobe.
Pre-flash? When I set the camera (E-PL5) to "fill-in flash", there is no pre-flash! Only one flash comes out, but measurement seems to work even so. In one of my prevoius posts I wrote how you can check the correct setting. The YS-D1 ALWAYS copies the camera's flash when set to TTL. So it also copies all pre-flashes. So "fill-in flash" was the best setting for me (only one single flash came out) ... It worked fine. For tuning the result (naturally the camera does not know that there is an external flash connected) I used the +/- settings on the flash.
Additional flashes only come when I set it to "red eye reduction", or, and this is strange to me, when the "Anti Shock" function is actived.

With manual settings (1/64 ...) the flash's intensity is always the same.

I am confused on why/how the TTL would work on the S&S strobes only when the camera flash is set to "fill" but not other settings. Are you saying that the strobe would need to pickup a pre-flash signal from the camera first for it to work in TTL mode?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom