E330 optical strobe question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody know how I can fire an optical strobe off of the Olympus E330 when the internal flash can't be popped up inside a Fantasea housing?

I was hoping there might be a small light that could be triggered by the hotshoe or something. I may have to get another "wired" strobe when my wallet recovers from the DSLR purchase but I wanted to see if there was some cheap temporary fix so I can continue to use my present strobe.

All ideas are welcome.

So, Jedi Master, gone over to the darkside, you have? I think you may be out of luck if the flash won't pop up. A new YS-110 in your future, may be found. You're going to be out about $500-575, + another $100 for a cable.

It's easy to be turned to the dark side, just expensive :D.

On the plus side, you can use your TTL or Manual strobe to fire your optical slave. I've been doing that for quite a while with my Oly ttl strobe and the Sunpak, and when positioned right it works great. With a quality wide beam strobe as your primary, you should be able to spotlight with your slave or use it to pick up background elements while your main strobe lights the foreground. You can also edge light your subject for very balanced lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom