Eagle Scout Project Saturday Weeki Wachee Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thomas a soon to be eagle scout needs some additional help on Saturday at Weeki Wachee Springs. I spoke to NetDoc just a few minutes ago and he will be joining us at 3pm for the dive. So if you can possibly help out a Boy Scout please join us at Weeki Saturday. The information from the boy is listed below. We have been told that after the 5pm show those that have helped will be able to enjoy a fun dive in the spring.

Thanks
Moose

Saturday schedule -- Your help is greatly appreciated.

a. Administration arrival at site and site preparation for the event.
Scout volunteers will stage signage and set up a registration station.
b. There will be a 1 hour briefing and readying equipment period at
3:00 pm, where each person will know exactly what their job is as well as reemphasizing safety issues.
c. At 4:00 pm the project will commence, and all cleaners will be able
to enter the workspace.
d. At 4:30 pm the second dive team will enter the water, and the
previous dive team will start to surface and perform their safety stops. Also the ground and shallow water teams will switch.
e. Rotation of divers will occur approximately every 30 minutes until 5:30 pm
f. At 5:30 pm all cleaning operations in the water will stop, and a 30
minute diver cleanup time will commence (on land). During this time all gear will return to their owners vehicles and all trash collected will be moved outside the gates for pickup after being weighed.

I know I can't be there but I'm curious. Just what is he doing that he needs help?

[FONT=&quot]They need us to dive and clean up the sandy areas to 25’ by digging in the sand for hidden treasures and hauling them out. From what I am told it is to allow for the reintroduction of eel grass which is native but has all but vanished in the spring. Photos from years ago show the spring full of it and they are trying to remove some of the man made junk and make it a more natural environment. Now this information is coming very much second hand but I do know for sure we are diving and hauling out debris. I figure any day diving is mush better than taking abuse from NetDoc. [/FONT]

Moose
I will gladly come up and help.
Do I need to bring anything other than my dive gear ?
Also what time do you want me to be there ?
Nope I think they have it all planed but they just need some more divers. We will need to be ready to dive once the 3pm show ends. So 2:30 is plenty of time to get stuff ready listen to the briefing and go. See you there. Thanks

That sounds like a geat project. I wish I could attend with my son and future Eagle Scout nephew but we have other commitments this weekend. Have fun and be safe.

That sounds like a geat project. I wish I could attend with my son and future Eagle Scout nephew but we have other commitments this weekend. Have fun and be safe.
Thanks for your moral support and keep coaching that nephew of your to get the project done in a timely fashion, like NOW! I can not count the number of young men that either have missed out or have come sliding across the 18th birthday home plate.

Ok Dan
see you there at 2:30

I did just hear from the adviser. They need for us to bring some basic mesh bags to collect things like glass that has come to the surface. So I figure a good pair of gloves are also needed with the mesh bags.

How did this go? I am just learning of this and wish I could have attended. That would have been fun :)

Heh, guess this shows how busy I've been the last week, I didn't even realize this was stickied!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom