Eagles Nest death....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any idea what roll open heart surgery could play in the recent EN death?

Its a secret...

Can we go ahead and assume solo and rebreather too?

well I'm assuming rebreather. dunno why a breather owner would do a deep dive like that on open circuit. I know I wouldn't if I had one

Lets assume solo as well... for the sake of... its pretty dang likely.

What we know... Diver died from DCS, no doubt about it. So perhaps he knowingly blew his plan, in the case of an actual health emergency(chest pains or whatever) or lack of decompression gas(less likely). The other scenario is he uknowingly did something to get bent, whether it be health related events that made him predisposed to a greater chance of getting hit, he was outside of the curve this time and the averages didn't work in his favor(undeserved?), sensors were reading wrong so the computations for an incorrect mix steered him up to the surface quicker than needbe... What else? Human error in other ways?

Solo has been confirmed, just not publicly... Which is retarded.

Anyone know if a doctor had cleared him to go diving?

Joe, can you comment on the sensors being inaccurate? I was under the impression the optima wouldn't work if the predive high/low test failed?

My understanding, which may well be inaccurate, was that the diver in question had been revascularized and had either a valve repair or replacement. The time elapsed since the surgery is unknown, as is whether he had had any evaluation of the success of the revascularization.

I can't think of anything about the surgery (either one) that would predispose a diver to DCS. However, vein grafts do fail (rare, but it happens) and valves leak . . . it's not entirely far-fetched to imagine the diver developing chest pain or shortness of breath underwater and truncating his deco. Until we have some better information about the nature of the surgery, the time elapsed since it was done, and whether or not the diver had any evaluation (stress test) of the success of his revascularization, I don't think we can say very much at all.

Since he was awake and talking when EMS got to the site (at least from the report I read) one would think he would have told the emergency crew what happened.

2rd hand information says the surgery was last year, no more recent than 5 months, likely closer to a year. 3rd hand information is that he was cleared... both could be gathered from posts on his condolensces thread at CDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom