Ear Being a Bit Odd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St
# of dives
200 - 499
Last night I noticed one of my ears being a bit odd..... not really stuffy, but when I swallow or eat I can hear slightly odd noises from it. No trouble clearing or hearing; when I "yawn" the tubes open right away. No pain except a slight twinge when I press on the outside of my ear with a fingertip (doesn't affect other ear). The best way to describe it is it feels a teensy bit "thick".

Any ideas? I'm planning on seeing a doc first thing tomorrow morning (just to be safe) but have any of you ever experienced anything similar and what did it turn out to be?

Forgot to mention I was diving on Saturday, Sunda and all day Monday, no problems; did a pool dive on Tuesday evening. No diving Wednesday (yesterday) but noticed this ear partway through the day. By evening it hadn't gotten any worse nor any better.

Hey FreeFloat, only once and it felt as you said 'thick' but not necessarily painful. ENT said bacterial infection from fresh water staying inside for a while..... antibiotics did the trick. YMMV, but I always call DAN while waiting to get to see the doctor.

Hope you get better soon,
maria

Thanks Maria.........
Yeah I do all my diving in fresh water and I've always had a problem getting water out of my ears post dive. Much of the time it gets out by itself later on, but I suppose maybe this time it didn't........

Mind me asking, how long was it until it cleared up, and did it interfere with your diving?

Once I was on the meds it was about 72 hrs before it was 'normal' again. But it got worse in a hurry (like in a couple of days it was not only pretty painful, but also 'itchy'.

Although a lot of people do not reccommend it, AuroDry or similar works for me. I use it after every dive and have never had a problem again. :)

Drop me a line if you ever are close to my neck of the woods. I moved here from Halifax and I'll never forget how friendly and kind you Canucks were to me when I was there by myself. My kid was born there as well :) My home and my heart always will have a soft spot for your incredible country and their people.

Hope you get better soon. PM me and let me know what the doc said.

maria

BTW, girl. Since your Canadian, you may not be a DAN member. That's okay. You can still call them for medical advice.

don

DandyDon, I am in fact a DAN member. Probably will call them this evening just to ask a few questions.

I was seen this morning by a GP and turns out it is indeed the early stages of an ear infection. I've been prescribed antibiotics and told that had I left it for several more days, I would be in a great deal of pain..........

FreeFloat:
DandyDon, I am in fact a DAN member. Probably will call them this evening just to ask a few questions.

I was seen this morning by a GP and turns out it is indeed the early stages of an ear infection. I've been prescribed antibiotics and told that had I left it for several more days, I would be in a great deal of pain..........

Good. Call them befoe 5pm Eastern, except for emergencies.

Yep, you got what I've got, and you're doing better than I did. Didn't sleep well last night. :help_2:

So FreeFloat, you on your meds already? what is the prognosis for your trip? feeling better yet?
maria

I had a similiar incident during my OW class. We were practicing "losing" your reg and then replacing it. Somehow (I've yet to figure out how) i got water in my mouth as my ears cleared sucking water into my ears. Same symptoms except mine got better after two days. Went to the doc anyway...they put me on a round of antibiotics kjust in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom