Ear Clogged/Ringing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z0quik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is a commonly posted topic, and Ive searched a lot but havent found a good answer...

I have done over 100 dives and have never had an issue clearing my ears.
I went diving Saturday, easy beach dive, max 18' nothing crazy by any means. I didnt have any issues clearing this day either.

But later that day I felt like my ears were clogged and had minor ringing. I tried a bunch of things to unclog my ears, everything you can think of. I have that feeling water is trapped in there...but not pain whatsoever.
It is now Tuesday and it may seem very slightly better, but it is still there.
I left my last job to go to a new one so I have to wait the 3 months again to get on their insurance, so I have been reluctant to go to the doc (since it seems minor and I was hoping a few days would resolve it).
Tinnitus? Barotrauma?

Edit: Note - this is only in my right ear...

I might go to a local cvs or walgreens clinic at lunch today just to get it looked at...

Any input? Ever thread I have read on this was from people who have had issues clearing their ears...this was not my case. Could it just be bad wax buildup? Water still trapped? WHAT IS THIS DAMN CLOGGED FEELING? Again, no pain, so I am guessing no infection....YET anyways. :idk:

Last edited:
Hi, I had the EXACT same set of symptoms in December. It turned out to be a Sinus problem and resolved with the use of a prescription Sinus Spray. I was given multiple refills and my Dr said I'd probably have to use it from time to time.

To test the Sinus theory, try Sudafed or some such over the counter sinus med for a few days. You may feel relief and then would at least have a plan of attack regarding the ear

Hi, I had the EXACT same set of symptoms in December. It turned out to be a Sinus problem and resolved with the use of a prescription Sinus Spray. I was given multiple refills and my Dr said I'd probably have to use it from time to time.

To test the Sinus theory, try Sudafed or some such over the counter sinus med for a few days. You may feel relief and then would at least have a plan of attack regarding the ear
Thanks for the input. Went and got some Sudafed. Will give it a shot before going to Dr. I figure, if it gets any worse I will def go to a clinic, otherwise will wait it out to see what happens. Its pretty minor, just a bit annoying.

While you're at the pharmacy, pick up a Neti pot. I find that most sinus issues are resolved fairly quickly with regular flushing.

Hmmm...
If you have tinnitus and a sensation of fullness/water in the ear, it seems unlikely to attribute it to an isolated sinus problem. Tinnitus would imply at least some sort of middle ear component--perhaps Eustachian Tube dysfunction, at least.

However, you might have some luck with the Sudafed opening up the Eustachian tube--it's worth a try for a few days before seeking medical advice, assuming no pain or fever.

However, if you get significant pain, fever, or pain when you move your earlobe with your hand, seek medical evaluation. And I'd hold off diving while your ear is giving you trouble.

Edit--minor clarification: tinnitus is merely the medical term for ringing in the ear--a symptom more than a diagnosis.

This advice is for entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to replace the advice of and evaluating medical professional! :)

Most likely diagnosis is middle ear barotrauma (barotitis media). DAN has a nice article on causes of it and treatment for it. Decongestants can help. Most cases resolve on their own.

The stuffiness you're feeling is due to issues on the other side (inside your head) of the ear drum. That's why manipulations to the ear canal (drops, finger, Q-tip, etc.) will not be effective...unless the ear drum is ruptured, of course. That is a complication of middle ear barotrauma. If you develop a fever, dizziness, discharge, nausea, or any neurological symptoms, then I'd recommend seeing a physician.

FWIW, it's my understanding that if you have DAN scuba insurance, no primary medical insurance, and you injure yourself while diving, the DAN policy will serve as primary coverage to help defray medical expenses. Check this with DAN if you are interested. Coverage through their program is pretty affordable.

Most likely diagnosis is middle ear barotrauma (barotitis media). DAN has a nice article on causes of it and treatment for it. Decongestants can help. Most cases resolve on their own.

The stuffiness you're feeling is due to issues on the other side (inside your head) of the ear drum. That's why manipulations to the ear canal (drops, finger, Q-tip, etc.) will not be effective...unless the ear drum is ruptured, of course. That is a complication of middle ear barotrauma. If you develop a fever, dizziness, discharge, nausea, or any neurological symptoms, then I'd recommend seeing a physician.

FWIW, it's my understanding that if you have DAN scuba insurance, no primary medical insurance, and you injure yourself while diving, the DAN policy will serve as primary coverage to help defray medical expenses. Check this with DAN if you are interested. Coverage through their program is pretty affordable.
Yeah I have been in contact with DAN and I explained my insurance situation and they seem very willing to cover it...go DAN. Ive had them for a few years now and never had to use em so...might as well for this if I can. I will let everyone know the outcome if I end up going to see a Dr for it and trying to get it covered by them...

Ended up going to an Urgent Care Clinic and when the Dr looked in the ear she couldnt see **** because of so much wax. So she and the nurse used a small device called a Ear Lavash (not sure I am spelling it right). It pushed water into the ear while sucked it back into the sink...

It took a while and several attempts but a lot of large chunks came out...then finally she could see my middle ear. She said it was not infected, no sign of barotrauma, but that it was a bit irritated.

So we are guessing the dive packed the wax in there so hard that it was giving this sensation. Not sure why I still have a bit of ringing, but I am hoping in a few days once the irritation goes down, it will go away.

Will update on any changes...

Back
Top Bottom