Ear Equalization Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amersboo, how are your ears now?

As an instructor, I agree with all the advice you were given. We actually spend a portion of our classroom work practicing and observing each other equalize. I start by having the entire class hold their noses then swallow hard. This allows them to feel what it is like to equalize. After that, we practice different techniques or combinations of techniques. I don't bother with the names (valsalva, toynbee, etc.) because that just confuses everybody. This is a confidence builder.

After we have done all the shallow water skills, we practice equalizing again in 3 feet of water and keep doing it along the sloping bottom down to 10 feet. I don't teach buoyancy at this point because I want them to be on the bottom to get a feel for equalizing. My students seldom have equalization problems, although a few have trouble because of physical problems. Those I handle on a case by case basis.

Bob

I had an issue with my ears last year, we did a lot of bouncing up and down, my buddy wwas trying to learn to use the compass and kept thumbing me up. over and over added up and I got a middle ear barotrauma, lost some high pitch hearing in my right ear from it.

From that I learned that I have to start pressurizing my ears BEFORE i start my descent, if I dont start beforehand the pressure builds up and I swear my tubes close or something and it gets very difficult to equalize.

I take sudafed before diving, from reading above on the reverse block I will be stopping that and looking at a antihistimine instead.
Try the different methods out and see what works for you. always take your decent as slowly as you feel necessary to keep up with equalizing, no need to rush it. The first 15 feet are the worst on your ears, once you get below that it gets easier.

From that I learned that I have to start pressurizing my ears BEFORE i start my descent, if I dont start beforehand the pressure builds up and I swear my tubes close or something and it gets very difficult to equalize.

The first 15 feet are the worst on your ears, once you get below that it gets easier.

If the pressure builds too much it CAN pinch off the eustation tubes making it difficult and sometimes impossible to clear. If you listen closely to new divers sometimes you can hear a high pitch squeal as they equalize, this usually happens because they wait too long to equalize and have to force equalize. The first 10-15 feet are definitely the hardest on the ears, if are going to have issues it is likely to be during that point.

Amersboo:

Don't feel bad about having an issue, especially during the first part of your diving career. It is more common than not for people to have issues during their training and first few dives after. It's just not talked about as people have a tendency to think they will be looked down upon as having done something wrong to cause it. This is not the case, however, as it is usually just a lack of knowledge, training, comfort and/or experience that cause these issues. You did the right things by recognizing that there was a problem and not just listening to the Instructor or Doc. Like has been said before if you feel something is/may be wrong there probably is something wrong.

So true! Couldn't have put it better myself. I do have one more lurking question in my brain... is this normal for a first-time diver or is it pretty rare to have problems at just 10 feet? Something makes me think I might have something really wrong with my ears. They seem toooo touchy.

Don't feel bad about ear pain at "just 10 feet." I don't have any dive experience yet (just completed my first classroom/pool session last night), but I've been in swimming pools my entire life. I've always liked tossing sinking objects into the deep end and collecting them, and know that ear pain happens every time I go below about 6-7 feet, at least while I'm on the bottom. My ears throb when I swim the bottom of the deep end of my inlaws' pool, and I think it's only a 9-footer. I can't think of a single reason why scuba would be any different unless you can equalize. It's actually the reason I've put off taking scuba lessons for this long - I know how much a 10 foot ear squeeze hurts! :(

Now, hopefully my allergies cooperate and I can actually equalize when I move to the deep end tomorrow night.

Greetings Amersboo and please go see the ENT and let them know about your dive training and your allergies.
Then they can tailor a dive friendly treatment that can allow you to equalize easier.
I had a rough time in OW and ended up with sore ears and visited the ENT a week later.
It revolutionized my diving and taught me a valuable lesson when it comes to health advice seek professional advice.
Follow the treatment regiment and you will find that your overall allergy issues will be much better.

Just be proactive when it comes to your ears, they can stop your diving immediately!
I have learned many techniques to help but a ENT is a professional and should be the one to advise you on treatment!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

For anyone having issues with equalization (either a diver, or an instructor with a student with the problem, there's a pretty good write up by a PADI CD here. Helping your open water students with equalising | Sydney Scuba Diving Blog

Most of it is geared towards what the instructor can do to help, but there's lots of takeaways for divers as well.

Cheers,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom