Ear equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,

It is really a matter of trial and error to a point, what works for some does not work for others. You will find that some people swear by one thing while others mock it.

You may even find that you end up not having any problems at all. Ask your local instructors what they have that may help and see if you can "try before you buy".

=-)

jimneycricket, i was sentenced to a year and a half devoid of getting in the water due to a non-diving related ear infection. When i do lots of dives, i make sure my ears are cleaned out at the end of each day, and if they're feeling funny, after each dive. I use a 50/50 mix of ethyl alcohol and white vinegar. The alcohol drys the ears out and the vinegar has an acidic pH, which is antibacterial. If you don't like the smell of vinegar, you could try citric acid or lemon juice. The ethyl alcohol you can get in the paint section at Home Depot. I use CLEAN Q-tips (BE VERY CAREFUL /w/ STICKING ANY OBJECT IN YOUR EARS!!!) for application, but others use eye-droppers or dropper bottles and drip the stuff into their outer ears. It's a real pain in the arse, but it's something i gotta watch if i'm going to keep diving.

Hey guys,
Check out the Oceanic - Safe Dive ProEar 2000 mask (released this month), it will solve your ear infection problems and more. Visit - http://www.proear2000.com

Something else that is good for ears is Star-Otic. I was told by my Dr. that the swimmers ear and alchol heavy soultion would dry the ear out too much( saw someone used Vinegar adn that may help that). The star-otic Dries out the ear and keeps the Ph in the ear correct. It has worked for me. I use it every time I get out of the water (Pool, Ocean, Shower, etc.)

At diving medicine conferences, I learned that the half-alcohol and half vinegar combination is used by Navy and by Olympic swimmers. Swimmer's ear remedies sold over the counter are usually this mix.
It can be (and was recommended at the conference) simple rubbing alcohol. Ethanol may be OK also, but the greatest experience in sports medicine is with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl)

The equalizing thing is largely a separate problem from swimmer's ear.
Equalizing occurs on the other side of the tympanic membrane, or eardrum.
The advice above is excellent. Equalize soon and often. If there is pain, ascend to equalize! by the time pain is present, there is enough pressure difference to block the eustachian tube from opening easily, and it won't correct until you ascend.

The only other thing that hasn't been addressed above is the role of colds and allergies in people with equalization problems.. Anything that causes any swelling of the mucous membranes of the nose (stuffy nose) will interfere with ease of equalization, because the eustachian tube's narrowest point is at the back of the nose (the nasopharynx)
People with recurrent sinus problems, mild allergies, etc often have an awful time equalizing. They can be helped with either decongestants like sudafed or the newer, prescription cortisone nasal sprays.

I've had exceptional success getting problem equalizers to clear easier using Flonase or Nasonex or Nasacort AQ sprays routinely. I'd discuss it with your doc and consider use of one or both if equalizing is a severe or recurring problem.
It's certainly better than giving up diving!!

John

Hey Rod, Thanks for the info on the preforated ear drums. About the equalization problem, I learned alot about the sinus' when my son's (both of them) had to have tubes for infections. He explained that some peoples eustachiantubes were naturally larger than others. That may explain why its hard for some and easy for others to equalize. For me, it was a little hard at first but after about 20 dives it was getting easier. Two points that I think may help: Start early equalizing, I have often started before I even get in the water. Several times helps me to get a little loosened up. Then again on the surface before descending and again about every few feet. When your body tells you to.The other point that I noticed help me was to get relaxed while diving. The more I got corfortable the easier it was to clear. Also just to add, I find that salt water does not present a water logging problem like fresh water does. Hope this can help. Good luck and safe diving. Ronald

Swallowing was mentioned earlier. Both my daughter and I have trouble equalizing and all of these suggestions have proved helpful. One other thing that has helped us is an underwater drinking device that attaches to your mouthpiece. It can be filled with water or a clear juice and the swallowing action seems to help open tne tubes better. It's also nice to relieve that dry mouth feeling that you get from breathing tank air.

Rich

Gee Howard... will it also give me fresh breath and cure the common cold? =->

C'mon... THREE plugs for your product in one thread? No offense, but enough already!

Rod, you have gotten lots of good advice about clearing your ears. The only thing I can add is a little bit of wisdom my hyperbaric physician imparted to me several years ago after I barotraumaed BOTH my ears: start clearing BEFORE you even hit the water.

Do it while you're assembling your equipment. While you're gearing up. While you're on the surface. As you descend. (Also, descending slowly, feet first gives you more control.)

He likened this to stretching before you exercise: gets things (in this case the eustacean tubes) limbered/warmed up beforehand & therefore takes less effort when you really need to do it.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

My husband had this problem too and my dive instructor told him to exercise his ear drums by holding his nose and lightly blowing out to adjust his ears. He told him to do this a few times a day two or three days before he went diving. This helped him tremendously and was able to go down to 100 feet his first dive without any problems. Before he couldn't do 20 feet! Hope you'll find something to help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom