Ear Infection FROM Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to all who have responded. My symptoms, which didn't appear until the fifth day after diving, were that my right ear felt like I couldn't clear it/that it was stuffy and it was tender atthe base. As of right now, it feels like it's almost back to normal and suspect with another good night's sleep it will be fine.

Mostly, I was concerned about whether thi could have been related to diving last weekend. The consensus seems to be that it could have. In general, peopl seemed to recommend a number of different "ear-beer" concoctions as preventive measures. I suspect I will try some of them out in the future.

Tomeck:
Or glycerin with acetic acid. Alcohol is not very good, because it is "corrosive" with skin

Hi Tomec,

And if It's_The_Water's problem is congestion or infection within the middle ear space, how will glycerin with acetic acid drops placed into the external ear be of benefit?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi Tomec,

And if It's_The_Water's problem is congestion or infection within the middle ear space, how will glycerin with acetic acid drops placed into the external ear be of benefit?

Thanks,

DocVikingo
Good question. It's the prevention against the congestion. With acetic acid, microbes cannot resist, glycerin is viscous and it can stay long time in the external ear.

Tomeck:
Good question. It's the prevention against the congestion. With acetic acid, microbes cannot resist, glycerin is viscous and it can stay long time in the external ear.

Can you site a source for this info?

You must wash your ears out woth a the showertube after you did dived in:

Makrobiosveare,brakishwater,or else strong paritcelfield water,it is normal that you get

a ear infction from those diving sits...

E.L.7*

Hemlon:
The site you listed suggests using alcohol drops to prevent ear infections. Are you aware that this contradicts your claim?
There is no contradiction :

What can you do to avoid outer ear infections in the first place?
  • Use a bathing cap or swimmer's earplugs (usually made of silicone, not the foam kind) to avoid getting water in your ears while swimming.
  • Be careful when cleaning your ears - don't clean too vigorously as you may scratch or damage the ear canal.
  • Dry your ear canal after swimming or bathing by using a hair dryer on the lowest setting (otherwise you could burn this delicate area) or by adding alcohol drops (ear drops containing isopropyl alcohol and glycerin, available over the counter) or acidifying drops (ear drops, available over the counter, containing acetic acid or aluminum acetate), which help bring the ear back to its normal level of acidity. Don't use alcohol drops if you have an outer ear infection, as they can cause pain.
  • Avoid water sports for at least a week after your outer ear infection clears up

Tomeck:

Yes, but you mentioned not using alcohol in the prevention of ear infections.

I'm not trying to argue with you but you should know that your claim is contradictory to the source you listed.

Back
Top Bottom