Ear infections - Any suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone. I’ve never posted on scuba board before, so I’m still navigating my way around this site. That being said, please let me know if I should be posting this elsewhere!

I am a dive instructor living in the South Pacific and get frequent ear infections. I’m currently using sofradex ear drops to treat infections and use a mixture of vinegar/alcohol after every dive. I’m looking for any suggestions & recommendations from other divers who also suffer from this. I’m thinking of using Doc’s pro plugs to help prevent water from going into my ear, but a little skeptical.

Please help! 🙏🏽😁

Welcome to ScubaBoard

I suggest you have a look in this area of SB

I use alcohol / vinegar mix after every day of diving too, helps a lot.

Are you diving in fresh water pools too? Perhaps they are not maintained well?

I also wear these IST ME80 Pro Ear Mask (Black)

Not 100% waterproof but they help a lot. An instructor in the Philippines advised me to use them more than 10 years ago.

The Ear Shield is also good, it's a mix of olive and tea tree oil, I sometimes use it if I remember.

My dokter can give me a prescription for ear drops based on vinegar which my pharmacist has to prepare.
The thing with these drops is that they have to be applied BEFORE the dive. From what I read most suggestions here are application AFTER a dive. (Except for the olive oil)

Hello everyone. I’ve never posted on scuba board before, so I’m still navigating my way around this site. That being said, please let me know if I should be posting this elsewhere!

I am a dive instructor living in the South Pacific and get frequent ear infections. I’m currently using sofradex ear drops to treat infections and use a mixture of vinegar/alcohol after every dive. I’m looking for any suggestions & recommendations from other divers who also suffer from this. I’m thinking of using Doc’s pro plugs to help prevent water from going into my ear, but a little skeptical.

Please help! 🙏🏽😁
Welcome!
So, are you talking about swimmer ear right (aka external ear otitis)?
What do you mean by "frequent"? Do you use a hood? If not, can you make any correlation between the use of hood and the infection?

PS. If Admin can move the discussion here may be helpful since the 'experts' on that topic are there.

The Doc's plugs prevent water from going deep into the ear, but of course don't keep the ear canals completely dry. I don't bother with the Plugs unless in the tropics because my thick hood accomplishes about the same thing. I use over the counter ear drops after every dive day, whether it feels like I have water deep in an ear or not. Never have ear issues but everyone is different. Before the drops go in I use a Q tip (yes... carefully).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom