Ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use regular 99% rubbing alcohol as ear drops after every dive (salt and fresh water). I started off with OTC ear drops against "swimmer's ear", but noticed that they're just the same stuff. Never had an infection since (and yeah, I've had one before).

Related question for those with more medical knowledge than I: I've got a 9 month old son who is in day care during the day, which means I am now a repository for every contagion on Earth. His latest gift to me was one of the worst summer colds I've ever experienced. Long story short, I ended up with an ear infection in my right ear and started on antibiotics for it on 7/5. My ears now feel like they are back to normal and my cold is improving daily -- just a nasal drip and cough at this point.

My question is that we are headed on vacation next week and I plan on diving at least Monday (7/16) and Tuesday (7/17), maybe more. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to do this, as long as I have no lingering sinus issues from the cold at that point? I will have completed my entire course of antibiotics by then. I just wanted to check to be sure I didn't need to lay off following the infection, even if I felt fine.

Thanks!

Related question for those with more medical knowledge than I: I've got a 9 month old son who is in day care during the day, which means I am now a repository for every contagion on Earth. His latest gift to me was one of the worst summer colds I've ever experienced. Long story short, I ended up with an ear infection in my right ear and started on antibiotics for it on 7/5. My ears now feel like they are back to normal and my cold is improving daily -- just a nasal drip and cough at this point.

My question is that we are headed on vacation next week and I plan on diving at least Monday (7/16) and Tuesday (7/17), maybe more. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to do this, as long as I have no lingering sinus issues from the cold at that point? I will have completed my entire course of antibiotics by then. I just wanted to check to be sure I didn't need to lay off following the infection, even if I felt fine.

Thanks!

I can't set policy for you because I am not a Doc and even if I was I don't think I would be able to set policy for myself However. what I would do is.

Dive and if I can clear/ equalize I am good to go. I may even cheat and take a allergy type of tablet an hour before my dive (but I would never tell a Diver instructor that).
I keep a mix of 50% alcohol and 50 vinegar and it helps ward off the water and invention issues. If you cant clear then don't dive you do not want a reverse block they are not a lot of fun.

But this is only what I would and do. I would need to be near death to miss a vacation dive and then If I could get someone to carry my tank to the boat and then push me over the side I would consider diving then.

I can't set policy for you because I am not a Doc and even if I was I don't think I would be able to set policy for myself However. what I would do is.

Dive and if I can clear/ equalize I am good to go. I may even cheat and take a allergy type of tablet an hour before my dive (but I would never tell a Diver instructor that).
I keep a mix of 50% alcohol and 50 vinegar and it helps ward off the water and invention issues. If you cant clear then don't dive you do not want a reverse block they are not a lot of fun.

But this is only what I would and do. I would need to be near death to miss a vacation dive and then If I could get someone to carry my tank to the boat and then push me over the side I would consider diving then.
I've sit out dives for several days on a liveaboard - boring! But I was ill enough that I just not at my best, so not safe to myself and others in my opinion.

For Cizel, I'd go for it an hope for the best. Equalizing is the big challenge for practice for days in advance, then make sure you to it early and often - on the boat, as soon as in, frequently. And I certainly don't care who knows that I take Actifed and dive.

I've sit out dives for several days on a liveaboard - boring! But I was ill enough that I just not at my best, so not safe to myself and others in my opinion.

For Cizel, I'd go for it an hope for the best. Equalizing is the big challenge for practice for days in advance, then make sure you to it early and often - on the boat, as soon as in, frequently. And I certainly don't care who knows that I take Actifed and dive.

That was sort of my thought as well. Go slow and be ready to thumb if it isn't working. I'll definitely be on allergy meds, but that's only because I am always on them. ;-) I usually take a Zyrtec-D and a squirt of Flonase in each nostril before diving. Both are long acting and I know they won't wear off while I am at depth.

Don't forget to use alcohol-vinegar mix in your ears after diving every day. Equalizing is one thing, ear infection is another - and either can ground you.

have a great trip :pilot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom