ear pain comes back after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aubrey-7

New
Reaction score
Hi had a slight ear pain after scuba diving last week. Doc gave xyzal n dexcsone to clear congestion, I think its cos I had problems equalising. e pain came back after I took e plane today. has anyone had such problems before? will cont to eat these pills help or there's stg else tt is wrong w my ear?

I intend to dive in another 2 days n intend to see if anything happens. E doc didn't think it was anything major then but I'm not sure if e plane ride changed anything..

NOT A DOCTOR and this is not medical advice. Contact Divers Alert Network (DAN) +1-919-684-2948. They have knowledgable people there who will most likely refer you to a dive doctor in your area for your ears. That is the best advice I can give.

Ear pain after flying may be an indication that you have trouble equalizing for some reason. It is important to determine what the reason is. There are several potential causes and to name a few they are: The Eustachian tube may be too small; is swolen; or is blocked by congestion or you may have some other medical condition. See a doctor (again). Any of these will give you trouble with pressure changes such as flying and diving causing pain. Pain on presure changes could result in a rupture to your eardrum if you decend too deep and can't equalize, or on ascent, again have trouble equalizing. You need to see a doctor to determine what the problem is and how to best resolve it. Diving with ear congestion is not recommended. Note when clearing your ears use caution and be sure to GENTLY blow (slighly increase the pressure) as you don't want to blow out your eardrum. If you can not yawn and feel you ears pop, you probably have an issue and should not dive.

Hi had a slight ear pain after scuba diving last week. Doc gave xyzal n dexcsone to clear congestion, I think its cos I had problems equalising. e pain came back after I took e plane today. has anyone had such problems before? will cont to eat these pills help or there's stg else tt is wrong w my ear?

I intend to dive in another 2 days n intend to see if anything happens. E doc didn't think it was anything major then but I'm not sure if e plane ride changed anything..

Can't really give you specific advice over the Internet, but if you can't equalize, you can't dive. Here is my sticky on this topic, which may be helpful to you. Try to find an ENT doc to check your ears if you can...

M

I bet he can hurt his ears trying to dive if he's not careful. We don't know where he is, and I am not sure what he said - difficult to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom