Ear Problems and a Renewed Love of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I have a scheduled appointment to see an ENT next week.

The earplugs sort of worry me - sure that they don't cause any other problems? Can they inadvertently cause other trauma? I'm just worried that this sounds too good to be true!

Cheers-

Kelly,

Your problem is pretty common. I was at a dive resort and they said that the vast majority of their injuries were barotrauma. You have company.

My wife often has problems with her ears. She gets water in them from repeated dives, as do I. She tends to develop ear infections. We use Sahara Dry Ear (I think they changed the name). It is a little apparatus that pushes a gentle, warm air stream into your ear for use after a dive. It drys out the ears pretty well. The other thing my wife uses are the Doc's Pro Plugs. They help in keeping water out of the ears. They don't keep it all out just most of it. They also seem to moderate changes in pressure which probably helps with equalization. My wife has not reported any negative side effects with them. Also, we do take antihistamines routinely on a dive vacation. We don't take much of a dose. It is mainly to be sure that our ear passages and sinuses are relatively clear.

I used to have considerable difficulty clearing my ears. My solution was similar to yours. I found that elevating my chin as much as possible while tilting my head so that the clearing ear was facing up whilst holding my nose and blowing worked best. Even with that there were times that I had to ascend a bit and try again until they cleared. Repetition seems to help, now I can get my ears to clear quite readily by holding my nose and giving a mild push. I have found that practicing clearing also helps. It seems to open the airways. My wife says all she has to do is slide her jaw out a bit.

Good luck to you,

Pat

Thanks everyone!!

I think there are a few things going on here. First, I'm nervous. I'm a new diver. I get it. But I did review Dr. Kay's video before my last dive. I took decongestants, I used saline solution for my nose, I used the ear drops to clear the water out that was stuck in my ears after every dive, I tried so many different ways to clear my ears. And it really took a long time to clear. Basically, everyone in my group was down at 30 - 50 feet while they waited for 10 minutes for me to get down. And they didn't complain because that's what divers do!

But I really think there is an underlying physiological issue here. I'm encouraged by the vented ear plugs, so I think I'll try those out. Seeing the ENT tomorrow. I hope she has good news!

Any further reviews on vented ear plugs out there??

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and insight!

Cheers-

Kelley

Basically, everyone in my group was down at 30 - 50 feet while they waited for 10 minutes for me to get down. And they didn't complain because that's what divers do!
A real buddy stays with the diver while he works on clearing, not waiting below - but good luck on everything.

I found this out on my own, didn't know there was a name to it.

The *worst* is having one side OK, then other hurting. Adding air adds to both sides, creating the opposite hurt.

So I go back up, wait a minute, relax, go down a bit, etc.

* First dive any many months is the worst, the rest of the dives are Easy-Peasy in comparison
* Head tilting does the difference for me, when one side is out of balance

I had a lot of trouble equalizing until I learned the Lowry Maneuver. This is the Valsalva combined with the Toynbee. In other words, hold your nose, blow gently, and swallow.

Also, see Be a Better Diver

Kelley,
Keep us posted on what the doc said. Every pence in awhile my inner ear will get sore. Seems like they might get swollen and not drain correctly. Funny thing is, it is sporadic, and going diving has actually helped.

When I had my barotrauma in Coz, I had the hotel call a physician over. Met him at the nurse's station.

He said he sees 5 barotraumas a day. It is unfortunately common.

My ENT got me in for an appt. immediately when I got back home.

A real buddy stays with the diver while he works on clearing, not waiting below - but good luck on everything.

Yes, this is important. Because you might have trouble while descending, and then where's your buddy? The same goes for ascending, of course.

I'm encouraged by the vented ear plugs, so I think I'll try those out. Seeing the ENT tomorrow. I hope she has good news! Any further reviews on vented ear plugs out there?Kelley

Personally, I wouldn't be too encouraged, but they're not expensive and probably worth a try in your situation.

This should prove informative --> Do vented ear plugs work? The topic comes up often.+

Regards,

DocVikingo

I too have ear problems after a bad sinus infection. The sinus issue healed and is gone fortunately but unfortunately I now have a bad ear infection. I am bummed because I wanted to go scuba diving next month in Monterey and lobster diving in Channel Islands. My current ENT has been useless. Does anyone have a good ENT doctor in Palo Alto area of California who understands dive medicine and how to recover from ear and sinus issues? Ping me if you do because I am tired of wasting time and money stuffing myself full of useless antibiotics that do not work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom