Ear problems won’t stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wtfkaratemonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m new here, obviously. I currently snorkel and while doing so, dive. I’m going for my SCUBA class soon and so naturally I’ve been spending a lot of time in the water. I’m comfortable in the water, always have been. I am having a problem though that is new for me and o can’t seem to shake. I’m afraid it’ll mess up scuba for me.

Our pool is 15ft in the deep end due to the contractors over digging it. I take a breath, hold it, and remove the snorkel from my mouth and dive down. As I near the bottom my ears hurt. A lot. I have tried equalizing them every way the internet has shown me, and it’s not helping. The pain eventually becomes too much and I surface. When I surface if I tilt my head water comes out of my ears and they instantly feel just fine.

This is a problem I have to overcome. Has anyone else had this much of a problem?

If you're ears are hurting before you start trying to equalize, you're waiting too late. You need to start at about 5 ft and than equalize as you descend every 3-4 feet until you are at your deepest point.

Yea if you make it to the bottom of 15 ft before you equalize you waited too long.

I’ve done it before too and it’s like once you dive that deep without equalizing it makes it harder to equalize on subsequent dives.

Also it’s harder to equalize when Freediving than on Scuba.

What helps me not get into that situation is equalizing before I feel pressure right from the start of the day

Hope this helps

At least with scuba I can go feet first and control the descent. My body doesn’t like to sink I have to do this head first.

Sounds like in a scuba situation and with the training it’ll be a controllable issue. It’s just been freaking me out that something is wrong with me

Good advice so far about taking your time and equalizing as you go before you feel pain. As stated, with Scuba obviously you have the luxury of time which you don't have with free diving. Also sometimes you need to ascend a few feet and equalize and then start down again. Frequent diving will make it easier. I am going to go out on a limb here also and say that I am a believer in decongestants for hard equalizers . With over 220 logged dives I have used a decongestant pill and sprayed Afrin up my nose on almost all them with good results. I know they say it can wear off and cause a "reverse squeeze" on ascent , but I have never had that problem. I don't dive at all if I'm severally congested though, which is almost never. If you are the type of person that often experiences ear pain when on a flight when the plane descends you are probably a "hard equalizer" and might need some extra help. Be sure to snort the Afrin hard enough, separately through both nostrils, so it comes through the roof of your mouth and tastes bad . Reapply for each repetitive dive , so it doesn't wear off.

I don’t think decongestants are the way to go, particularly at this point, before the OP has even been on his/her first dive. I think most people would have a hard time if they started trying to equalize at 15 feet.

I had a hard time with my ears when I would go snorkeling. What worked for me was equalizing before my head would even go under water, and then continuously doing light equalization as I dove deeper. I think it’s a little bit tougher than when diving because of the speed at which you descend. I’ve never had a problem equalizing on a dive. Best advice has already been given; equalize early and often.

I agree, try the proper techniques and go natural at first, but if that fails don't give up diving without trying the decongestant protocol I suggested.

Can you equalize in the surface? How about after a plane ride? My girlfriend can’t do either and we don’t have the money or insurance to find out why for now but we will in the future (she’s been like this for 10+ yrs).

I’m one of the lucky ones and can equalize hands free. I equalize randomly throughout the day even if not diving. My 3rd OW dive I had to equalize with my hands at about 35’ or so and from there to 55 I did it without.

I’ve experienced some sinus issues which made it hard to equalize after an hr or two of freediving in 30’ of water. I could equalize down to 12’ but nothing more. I tried a lot that day but called it a day when nothing worked.

With flying I have always been able to chew gum or pretend to chew and they would pop and be ok. When I was a kid and flying it was bad but I don’t recall any issues in adulthood.

I may lower some weights into the pool on a rope and see about slowly moving myself down the rope feet first so I can see how it is with control.

I like the sudefed kind of idea if this remains a problem down the road. I’ve always wanted to get scuba certified and now that I’m going to I’m paranoid something will ruin it.

...//... I like the sudefed kind of idea ...
It works really well in opening you up. It also has side effects.

I put my doc to the test for something that would control seasickness. I'm very susceptible. I got promethazine and pseudoephedrine. He said he wasn't totally comfortable with this. Promethazine is the only thing that works once you start to feel seasick, but it will also put you to sleep. The Sudafed counters the sleepiness but raises blood pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom