Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sudafed can help, i'll give you that. Different people respond to different meds in different ways. I have had sudafed wear off and cause problems. My private physician who is a diver himself has prescribed a med similar to sudafed but has a much longer half life, therefore it it does not or rather has not caused any problems to date.
The point that i was trying to make is talk to a doc/ent. Thier opinion and knowledge on the subject of eustation tubes and sinus/air spaces/cavaties is far superior to that of the average diver. What may appear as simple congestion could be something more serious. They would be best at helping resolve issues concerning these areas, especially when the person in question has already tried other remedies with out relief.

firedawg226:
Sudafed can help, i'll give you that. Different people respond to different meds in different ways. I have had sudafed wear off and cause problems. My private physician who is a diver himself has prescribed a med similar to sudafed but has a much longer half life, therefore it it does not or rather has not caused any problems to date.
The point that i was trying to make is talk to a doc/ent. Thier opinion and knowledge on the subject of eustation tubes and sinus/air spaces/cavaties is far superior to that of the average diver. What may appear as simple congestion could be something more serious. They would be best at helping resolve issues concerning these areas, especially when the person in question has already tried other remedies with out relief.

Well said. I think it is a good thing to understand if you have a larger problem first before jumping to a OTC remedy. Not bad advice.

I had trouble with mine when I started diving. I had a lot of pain and I couldn't hear very well the next day after my first pool session.

I went to an ENT to make sure all was ok before continuing. It all checked out and I started to be vigilent about taking my allergy medicines. I also use an atomizer orally that will open my ear tubes a bit. (The medicine works on your ear tubes as it does on your bronchial tubes.)

The most important thing the dr. told me was to practice clearing a few times a day as I sit in traffic. He noted that the muscles that control this action are like any other, they become lazy without use...so by practicing it helps the body learn to control them.

Check all this stuff with your doc, though. I just offer it to illustrate that you're not alone or the first and that you can get over this stuff. I think it is important to check with your doc before continuing.

firedawg226:
Sudafed can help, i'll give you that. Different people respond to different meds in different ways. I have had sudafed wear off and cause problems. My private physician who is a diver himself has prescribed a med similar to sudafed but

You have a good point about it wearing off, that's why the common usage is the 12 hour variety and not shorter acting one. That said different people have different metabolic rates and some may not have it last for 12 hours. I know my system isn't normal that way and my meds wear off quicker than normal no matter what it is.

My typical routine is to start on it a couple days ahead of time per my doc and then I take a 12 hour pill a couple hours before the dive so I'm sure of having it around in my system. My doctor told me that for best results you have to have it in your bloodstream for a while to get maximum benefit, you can't just take it right before the dive and always have good results. I have some prescription meds I can take as well if I need to, and in the Winter I don't need them but I do in the Summer many times.

Sudafed isn't a dirty little secret unless you happen to go through a Padi class, Dan and many instructors will tell you of it's benefits and potential problems. They also suggest that you get checked out and see if it's really needed or not. In my case it is needed.

grf88:
This informative video has been helpful to some people I know.
http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

I was looking to see is someone mentioned this. The video is great The doctor on it stresses practicing often and equalizing on the surface before going under. I watched this a while back and it helped.

I also went to an ENT and diver, he suggested sudafed 12 hour two to three hours before a dive, or claritan D 24 hour. He also said if you can take it two to three days proir it will also help more. He said not to use the four hour stuff as it is known to wear off to quickly, usually before the four hours is up. I started using the claritan d 24 hour and haven't had a problem since with doing what the doctor talks about in the video, and i used to have problems on a lot of dives. Good luck, it all in learning what YOU need to do. And as everyone else has said see an ENT they can help you set up a program that works for you.

grf88:
This informative video has been helpful to some people I know.
http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

scubaaaronh:
I was looking to see is someone mentioned this. The video is great The doctor on it stresses practicing often and equalizing on the surface before going under. I watched this a while back and it helped.

Thanks for the link!! Big help!!

The vid help me understand one thing in particular - different equalizing techniques work for different individuals. If one doesn't fit your anatomy, try another.

Wow, I wish I had found this thread years ago! I have trouble clearing my ears. After reading the post and watching the video, I think I'm part of that "10%" that has a unique ear tube.

Think I'll go see a "diving" ENT doctor. Seen two, and they just prescribed antihistimine.

Have a suggestion of one in the So Cal area?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom