ear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject, I wonder if I could ask a question. Perhaps it will help the OP as well as others, like me, who clicked eagerly on "Ear question."

I do have some trouble equalizing my ears when I dive. Partly they seem hard to equalize, and partly it may be that I am afraid to equalize "too hard" and break something. But so far I've usually been able to equalize eventually (although sometimes I feel like I'm taking forever to descend, and look like a crazy person as I try all the varieties of techniqes).

However, once I'm "down" (say at 40' or so) and moving around, I still feel pressure (and/or worry about it), and so I find myself continuing to do the "pinch breathe," and each time I do my ears give that little "sqeef" of pressure relief. That makes me feel like I should be continuing to do it (because.... would I get that "sqeef" if they did not need more equalizing?). I don't know enough to know whether I am obsessing and should just stop once I get to depth and am more or less moving around at one level; or if the pressure and "sqeef" that I can get mean that for some reason my ears are re-pressurizing and I'm doing the right thing :lookaround:

Patrick, if you'd rather I start my own thread, please just let me know. It's just that your thread reminded me of my problem/question, and then I wondered if I should immediately start *another* ear thread, or whether it might be helpful to tack onto yours.

B.

Hello Blue Sparkle,

You are not obsessing. Continue clearing until your ears are happy.

Lets discuss what causes Squeef.

I "think" squeef is caused when the eustation tube is partially filled with body liquid and the air has to squeeze passed. Or, the eustation tube is bent, compressed, or partially colasped, and the air has to squeeze by.

I think it is the "squeezing past" that causes the sound.

The squeef is a sound I love because it means releif is on the way. The sad part of squeeking or squeef is it means your eustation tube is partially blocked or colasped.

Suggestions:

Saline nasal spray before diving.
Lots of practice ear clearing the day of diving.
Lots of stretching the neck (tilt head from side to side)
Wiggle the jaw, make the ears pop.
Very slow descent
Very slow ascent
Start clearing BEFORE you ascent to prevent reverse block.

Remember: Its all about air being able to pass through the eustation tube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom