Ear trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valsarver

Reaction score
Hello,

Just found this great group. Returned from dive vacation in Mexico, with a swollen, painful left ear. Started as feeling "plugged" without pain. Of course, I was too stubborn to STOP diving, so I did another two dives after the "plugged" sensation. The night after doing the two dives, I hardly slept as my ear grew more painful, it was hard to hear, and throughout the night, I was awakened by water draining, hopeful that this was a good thing.

Today, it became painful and swollen to the point that it is now difficult to eat. It seems to be slightly improving as I have taken two Naproxen for swelling, and also taken a couple antihistamines. I put some olive oil in the ear earlier. Then recently, I added a couple drops of something called "Otopain" that I got in Indonesia (the last time I had this problem seriously). It looks as though the active ingredient is something called Polimiksin B Sulfate, but of course, I can't confirm for sure as it is in Indonesian! It worked last time though.

Don't have health insurance, can't really afford to go to the Doc if I don't absolutely have to.

Any tips (other than wiser prevention next time - I learned my lesson) - on how to relieve this? How do I get my ear to drain?!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Val

Hi Valsarver,

If the pain has not yet convinced you to seek qualified advice let me advise you most sincerely to do so, soonest.

Whether or not you have a perforated your tympanic membrane (ear drum) I would guess you have an established infection of your middle ear.

If left untreated this can infect the mastoid bone (a part of the skull) a form of osteomyelitis. which could become life threatening in time, requiring a disfiguring operation and at a minimum permanent deafness in that ear.

SEEK TREATMENT or you may regret it for the rest of your life!

Hello Doctors,

Thank you for your replies, I'll make sure to see a Doctor tomorrow. Hope I haven't done too much damage already.

Thanks,
Val

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom