Early 1970's cert in upstate NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronpriskie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any idea what agency may have been conducting SCUBA training in Central NY during the early 1970's? Open water dives were done in Lake Cazenovia.

Although I have been re-certified by PADI (now AOW and awaiting Rescue class), I would love to get a re-print of my original C card.

Any idea what agency may have been conducting SCUBA training in Central NY during the early 1970's? Open water dives were done in Lake Cazenovia.

Although I have been re-certified by PADI (now AOW and awaiting Rescue class), I would love to get a re-print of my original C card.

Hi Ron;
the most popular agency at the time, in the area, was NASDS..and no you most likely will not be able to get a copy of original certification.The way I understand it there was a fire at NASDS and all records are lost.
I conducted ow training dives at lake minniwaska , I believe its in New Paltz.
I was teaching for Cougar Sports at the time,very busy there back in the day.Facility did over 500 ow certifications in a year then.
From there we did them at the Quarry in Hamburgh NJ..When are you starting rescue?

Last edited:
oly5050user,

I don't have a fixed date for Rescue. I'm waiting for my LDS to schedule one! How's the diving in Lake Minniwaska?

oly5050user,

I don't have a fixed date for Rescue. I'm waiting for my LDS to schedule one! How's the diving in Lake Minniwaska?

stinks...very clear water but nothing in it ...I rather dive in LI Sound off my boat in 5' vis than drive 80 miles there to just get wet.At least in the Sound I can get lobsters,go on a wreck and look for artifacts...just very limited vis..
Tell the LDS that you want it scheduled for such and such date and want to start..I just completed 3 people this past weekend in the sound off my boat in rescue..
Tell me that the lds is scuba NY...if you do then I know who you are and we will have a big laugh about this there..bring booze :)..

Wow ! Lake Cazenovia. I loved diving there. I completed my NASDS Open Water I Cert (1979) with Paul Snook's Dive Shop there in Liverpool, NY. I think they changed their name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom