Ears after diving -- Sticky the day after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jephre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there-
Just curious about something--
During my tortuous certification process, I endured a couple rounds of medial barotrauma.

Now that I've got about 15 dives under my weightbelt, I think I've got the problem clearing my ears (usually just my right one, for some reason) manageable by using a battery of ALL of the following:

-sudafed
-flonase
-afrin
-clear-ease tablets (not sure these do a darn thing)
-doc's pro-plugs
and this weekend i added post-dive ear drops to dry them out

nowadays i don't think i feel barotrauma-- my ears aren't "full" like they were when my ENT checked me out and pronounced me injured-- but sometimes in the days after a dive-- usually 1-2 days afterwards, they feel a bit "sticky"-- gummy. I can valsalva them clear, but the right one takes more effort.

just wondering if this is common? i feel like i'm making MAJOR progress in as much as i'm not freaked out about barotrauma every time i dive, but because my first dives were so injurious i'm nervous and not clear about what is "normal" for divers.

thanks one and all for your input and advice-- look forward to your responses.

jeffrey in Los Angeles

yikes, doesn't sound like you should be diving until you have your ears/sinus examined by your doctor.. this isn't common at all.

I agree. Go see your doctor again. Definitely get the stickiness checked. A little congestion the days after a dive is my norm, but I have never had anything sticky accumulate in my ear. You may have done some repeat damage trying to get things to work. You should probably stay above water for a bit too.

I agree. Go see your doctor again. Definitely get the stickiness checked. A little congestion the day or two after a dive is my norm, but I have never had anything sticky accumulate in my ear. You may have done some repeat damage trying to get things to work. You should probably stay above water for a bit too. At least your doc gives you a green light.

It may still be partly technique (and there's lots of advice on this board about that.) But with this much of a problem I would definitely get checked out by an ENT, preferably one who knows something about diving.

I use Sudafed sometimes as it helps when my ears are being a little sluggish after a few days of diving. I tried Pro-plugs recently and I think that may eliminate any need I have for Sudafed. Nothing wrong with the post dive drops, a good idea that's mostly solving a different problem. But as much as I love diving if I truely needed that many drugs at once so I could clear my ears (and still not feel right a couple days later) I don't think I'd be doing it - I'm sort of partial to hearing as well...

Back
Top Bottom