Earth Day Alabama Point Jetty Cleanup Dive 4-22-7(Redux)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The other thread is far too cluttered, the petty banter within will just turn away anyone interested in making the dive so they don't waste their time wading through the crap in that thread.

Earth Day is 4-22-7, which is a Sunday.

Algulfdiver proposed a cleanup at Alabama Point Jetties, which does infact have lots of discarded fishing line, lures, and nets. Especially around the point and on the beach side of the west jetties. Alabama Point is a beach dive and its located on the west side of Perdido Pass. If there is further confusion in this, PM me, and I'll try to make it more clear.

High tide on that particular day is 3:17PM, so perhaps we can meet up onsite around 2PM and shoot for two dives. Current around the point itself, will likely still be kinda hairy and I believe the majority of the nets are on the beachside of the jetties. Caution will need to be taken if you decide to round the point and do any cleanup there. Lots of fishing tackle on the channel side to cleanup.

There was talk of a cookout afterwards.

Details concerning the dive itself and cookout, feel free to discuss.

Weather permitting of course Will this be done from the bridge to the point? One might also want to consider posting a few signs along the waters edge this time of year it stays pretty busy along the beach with both fisherman and swimmers along with a few boaters running their craft ashore along there.

My second thought would be on the nets a large net has a considerable amount of lead at the base of it. Would it be easier to have some one walking the shore to collect any heavy material a diver may need to bring in? That could make for a long swim trying to drag a bunch of lead. We will also need some old dive bags don’t you think?

As far as the cookout I’m still in for some Crawfish, Corn and Potatoes we just need a head count on how many that will be there Now we just need Paul over here to cook it "hint hint" If not I'll man the pot

I am working to coordinate and make a plan with the city of OB to try to get a dumpster, and maybe even have the marine police on site.
We will need some Divers in the water and some on land. Where I noticed a big # of net's is on the inside of the chanel off the sea wall.
We may need 2 groups if Mat has seen net's in other places.

That will be a work weekend for me, but if I can be of any assistance the weekend before I will be glad to help.

Mike

My daughter (17yrs) said she would be happy to help and more than likely my Son-N-law and other Daughter would love to help out. They are none divers and I can either work in the water or on shore you make the call.

tom wicker:
Weather permitting of course Will this be done from the bridge to the point? One might also want to consider posting a few signs along the waters edge this time of year it stays pretty busy along the beach with both fisherman and swimmers along with a few boaters running their craft ashore along there.

My second thought would be on the nets a large net has a considerable amount of lead at the base of it. Would it be easier to have some one walking the shore to collect any heavy material a diver may need to bring in? That could make for a long swim trying to drag a bunch of lead. We will also need some old dive bags don’t you think?

As far as the cookout I’m still in for some Crawfish, Corn and Potatoes we just need a head count on how many that will be there Now we just need Paul over here to cook it "hint hint" If not I'll man the pot

I'll personally be diving from where the seawall and jetty join, to the point, and around the other side, asuming I have a buddy with enough air to do the same.

Fishermen are always there, nothing new about that - I enjoy yanking their lines anyway. As for the really heavy stuff, with a max depth of 30', we can surface and pass it along before going back down for more without any negative effects.

Mat, If You do the west jetty I'll take the sea wall. Maybe we can come up with a ladder. I've been meaning to build a ladder any way.

Yeah, I've never been wild of climbing up the wall when the tide is coming back in. The rocks get pretty hgih under the bridge, making for best exit, but otherwise, its a real PITA.

Although, its easy to climb out at the seawall/jetty joint. :)

A ladder will be welcomed, cleanup dive or not :p

What kind and how long of a ladder is needed? I have several different types. To bad Jeramie still doesn't have that old ladder he use to have for that very reason when he had his second shop across the street

algulfdiver:
Mat, If You do the west jetty I'll take the sea wall. Maybe we can come up with a ladder. I've been meaning to build a ladder any way.

Sounds great, I'll try to round up some of my local buddies for this as well.

Back
Top Bottom