Earthquake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
There are two kinds of tsunamis. I don't remember the exact names but one is a "splash" type from large landslides that have been witnessed at over 1200 feet high, witness buy the guy in the only boat to survive it. The other is the shock wave type that is most familiar. They travel long distances at 500 mph and have a short in height but very long wave length. I'm not an expert by any standard but I have read about them some. A near shore event like this one would threaten the Pacrim but not here. Our last wave was from the good Friday quake in 1964 and it was generated in Alaska. I'm not positive I'm 100% accurate on this but that is the way I was told to works from an exibit I think.

Clearly we need to work on our immigration laws, they are letting anyone in these days! LOL

Not so sure on the nearshore events not affecting things locally.

From tsunami.org...

"How many locally generated tsunamis have occurred in the Hawaiian Islands in recent history?

On the Big Island there have been several significant tsunamis resulting from local earthquakes or submarine landslides. The most recent and devastating of these tsunamis occurred in the early morning hours on November 29, 1975. Within a little over an hour, two earthquakes jolted the island. The first, located three miles inland of Kamoamoa village in Volcanoes National Park, had a Richter magnitude of 5.7. The second, centered two miles offshore of the Wahaula heiau (also in the park area) was much more violent having a Richter magnitude later to be determined as 7.2. The result of this earthquake was a 10 foot subsidence of the shoreline and the second most destructive local tsunami ever to be recorded in Hawaii.
Campers in the remote Volcanoes National Park coast at Halape were awakened by the violent shaking of the first quake unknowing that a second and more severe quake would follow in just over an hour later. Some of them had barely gotten back to sleep when the second quake shook so violently that standing was nearly impossible. Within 30 seconds, the first of five tsunami waves struck Halape. Two campers, one an adult with a group of Boy Scouts, the other a fisherman, did not survive. Nineteen others were injured. The maximum runup height was 47 feet at Keauhou Landing and 26 feet at Halape, 1.9 miles to the southwest. "

A few years back West Hawaii Today had an article saying if you got knocked off your feet while shopping on Alii Drive, you've got about 3-4 minutes to walk inland 4 or 5 blocks or up 4 stories. If I recall correctly, the models said if a 7.3 hit the Captain Cook area, they'd expect roughly a 30 foot wave to hit Kailua within minutes.

It is fascinating, there's pretty much nowhere you can go and avoid at least the possiblility of some type of major natural disaster. Hopefully one won't happen during our collective lifetimes.

later,

Very intresting. Did it describe the type of waves anywhere? Im assuming these are the "splash" types refered to earler...I could go looking I guess but Im supposed to be doing something right now.

My kids were "home alone". A bit disconcerting, but they know the drill from California.
I had people call me in Memphis from NYC to tell me...I had no idea. Then Leesa checked things out and gave me a call (thanks).

I kick myself for not having water on hand.

Glad all is well Catherine. Such a simple thing like water is just so easy to overlook.

Always drinkable water in your water heaters though.

Don't forget toilet tanks! Plenty of rain water is usualy available too...
RU back Catherine? Not untill tomorrow I thought.

OK, I had to know. Here is a cool link that explains near shore tsunamis. I learned a lot.
http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/tsunami/basics.html
Im going to try to find info on the other kind I was talking about.
Here is a link talking about it but Im still not finding the deffinition I was looking for.
http://seagrant.uaf.edu/features/earthquake/tsunami.html
Another QnA link. http://www.teachervision.fen.com/natural-disasters/weather/31103.html#9

The only thing Im finding is "local"...I know I read something somewhere....

I hope eveyrone is alright along with your property. (sorry a little late. been away form the computer)

My wife told me to wake her around 7 AM. I was downstairs playing on the computer, the shaking began and without opening her eyes, she quietly said, "OK, I'm awake"..more shaking...."OKAY..I'm awake"......more shaking "ALL RIGHT!!! I"M AWAKE!.......OMG.......IS THAT AN EARTHQUAKE?????".
Actually, I thought it was pretty funny. It was over before I could get frightened.

Wow we were in Kauai out on Queens Bath taking some early morning photos when this hit. Almost lost my footing and fell into the rocks...but we were okay. I dont think I have ever ran so fast for higher ground in my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom