East side shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha all,

Does anyone have info on shore dive sites on the Windward side?

I've heard rumors of North Beach on the Jarh- er...Marine Corps Base ( :wink: ) and there are some artificial reefs in K Bay but those require a boat, along with the Mokes (at least a kayak, if not a boat). The Makai Pier is an option, but I doubt I'd have much use for a tank over there since it's so shallow and small, unless I'm missing a secret or two.

Any info would be appreciate, trying to broaden my horizons a bit :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

Ewa beach is flat & shallow for about a mile offshore, so it's boat diving only.

Most of the windward side is like that too. However, I've heard of people shore diving at Laie Point, and there are some old river channels around Kaaawa/Punaluu that might be OK. You need to find a day when the North surf is down and the winds are light before attempting this side.

I've heard of some loonies diving off of Laie Point. I tell you, we lived on Laie Point itself for about a year, and I think I could have counted on one hand the number of days where the water was accessible. Interesting read, though: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: La'ie Point of Oahu, Hawaiian Islands

Some buddies did a dive off Kaaawa, a hundred yards or more south of Crouching Lion. I bailed out of the dive, so I kept an eye on folks' cars and stuff. There's a channel that leads right out a to a kind of wall - you can see it easily via Google Earth. Bit of a surface swim, though, and there was some current. Despite the day being flat and calm, they reported that viz was poor, at about 10-feet. Turtles the size of VWs though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom