Eastern Lake Ontario wreck charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slick6

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for a good charter for eastern Lake Ontario wrecks. I imagine something out of Kingston. Any reccommendations? And "do not miss" wrecks? I'm not looking for anything very technical at this point. Hoping to have my own skill levels up to snuff by then to maybe do some penetrations, but not 100% sure of the skill levels of all the guys who want in on the trip so I don't want to plan anything that would exclude someone.

What's the weather and water temps like in say August?

Thanks much.

Hi
In Kingston there are a quite a few charter boats.
It all depends on the size of your group.
Most of the boats we have up here can carry a max of 6 or 8 divers.
Then there are a couple that can carry up to 20.
But have a long waiting list.
Try Divercity and Limestone dive charters.
I have been on 98 shipwrecks in a 15 mile radius around Kingston.
So there is alot to see
I have also set up lines on the bottom to a few wrecks from shore, for the windy days that we cannot get out on the lake.
If you want to see some pic's of the wrecks
Check out Preserve Our Wrecks [POW] Kingston
As far as skills, we have made most of our wrecks "diver frendly"
Most of them are in the 60 to 80 foot range.
We have set up 2000 lbs. blocks of cement beside the wrecks, with a 1 inch rope tied to it, that is held at the surface with a float
We have also collected all of the artifacts that have been found around these wrecks and display them on the wrecks.
Take pictures and nothing else. Leave them for your kids to see in 20 years.
In August we have a temp around 70 f. at the surface, and drops about 10 degrees below the first thermocline, about 60 feet.
We also have a algee bloom to deal with in the surface water.
Vis. can be very limited in the algee bloom, but becomes very clear below that, as much as 200 feet on a good day.
let me know what size your group is, and what you want to do,
and I will try to guide you in the right direction.
Hope this helps

Helps a lot, Thanks. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. 60 - 80 feet is perfect. I'm a pretty low time diver, but I'll have some cold water diving in by the time August rolls around. Got my advanced open water in April up at Gilboa which I imagine is a little nippy in April. :)

My grandfather was a Great Lakes maritime history freak and I remember looking through his books on it when I was a kid. Especially the shipwrecks. It'll be great to finally dive some of them.

Slick6:
Thanks, Oren.

It's only March and I'm already getting excited about it. Heh. Gonna be a long summer.
You'll have fun in Kingston. It's excellent diving. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom