Easy tank pressure question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregseto

Registered
Reaction score
I got certified in Australia this summer, but am about to go on my first CA dive in a few days. I have a quick question regarding surfacing procedures;

In Queensland, it is apparently ILLEGAL to surface with less than 50 bar in the tank (an AL80 capacitiy is typically 200 bar, so 50 is a good chunk of air), and I was taught to start heading up with about 70. How does this equait to PSI? I know that the same AL80's hold 3000 psi, so should I be surfaced with 1/4 of that (750 psi) or is that just some QLD specific regulation rather than a guideline?

Thanks, and if there has been a thread about this in the past, please advise; I didn't run across any.

ILLEGAL??? I will wait for someone from Australia to comment on that part.

In the US it is RECOMMENDED that you start your ascent with a certain amount of gas. The reason: back up, what is you get tangled in something or what if a boat is buzzing over head, etc... The amount of reserve should be enough based on dive length, depth and any deco obligation.

Needless to say, use the gas IF you need to or if your buddy needs it.

A move by the Republican leadership to set the tank reserve at 500 psi is currently being filibustered by the Democrats. A cloture vote is expected next week, with the President set to sign the legislation if passed by Congress.

Oh boy, here we go. Where's that popcorn?

Price of gas is fixing to go up....

vladimir:
A move by the Republican leadership to set the tank reserve at 500 psi is currently being filibustered by the Democrats. A cloture vote is expected next week, with the President set to sign the legislation if passed by Congress.
The ACLU has already claimed that’s unconstitutional and everyone has the right to die underwater from lack of air. Expect further questioning of Roberts as to his position on OOA emergencies and deaths. :D

ROTFL! Anyway, (unless it is different in the foreign country called California, hehe), there generally is no legally required turn pressure. But if you don't live through your dive, we have a mandatory death sentence for THAT particular infraction. We just have zero tolerance for that type of reckless behavior, dangit!

Try to figure out how much air it would take to get you and your buddy back up, with safety stops, & with a reserve added in. When you have that much air left in your tank, start your ascent. If your buddy does the same, the chances are good you will not end up in violation of our laws.

gregseto:
I got certified in Australia this summer, but am about to go on my first CA dive in a few days. I have a quick question regarding surfacing procedures;

In Queensland, it is apparently ILLEGAL to surface with less than 50 bar in the tank (an AL80 capacitiy is typically 200 bar, so 50 is a good chunk of air), and I was taught to start heading up with about 70. How does this equait to PSI? I know that the same AL80's hold 3000 psi, so should I be surfaced with 1/4 of that (750 psi) or is that just some QLD specific regulation rather than a guideline?

Thanks, and if there has been a thread about this in the past, please advise; I didn't run across any.

50 bar would be 735psig, close enough to 750 for me.

I see no mention of such a law in this document:

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/pdf/whs/divecards_english2005.pdf

The page it references, www.whs.qld.gov.au/subject/diving.htm , does not appear to exist.

Putting the word dive in the search function on this page produced a bunch of hits:
http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/index.htm

Happy hunting.

Watch out for the USA air police. They can be sneaky Sob’s. They will hide in caves, holes, behind kelp, in and around coral, inside and behind wrecks waiting for that air gauge to drop.

They use informants so they can stay hidden. You know those cute little fish that swim around you on a dive. Cute my butt, they are informants rating you off when the gauge drops.

Sharks and barracuda are just decoys. They get your attention while those little Sneak-a-peeks get the reading on your console.

For heavens sake to not let your computer start beeping. That will get the FBI (Federal Bubble Inspectors), IRS (Inspectors Really Suck team) and some times the CG (Curious Groupers) will show up and hassle you.

What it all boils down to is use your head and manage your air accordingly. You aren’t going to get cited or arrested if your air is below a certain point. Just make sure you have enough to make a good safe dive.

Gary D.

gregseto:

The last boat I was on wanted you on the boat with 250 psi and recommended turning at 500 or more. What happens if you get back on the boat with less though? They gonna throw you back in?

Legality of such things is rather moot. You CAN'T GO IN CAVES if you aren't certified etc.... Who checks? What do they do if they find you doing something you "CAN'T" do? Absolutely nothing, so far as i can tell.

Bottom line, you are your own enforcer. You want to run out of air and drown? Go ahead. That being said, i'd say turning the dive (depending on conditions, type of dive, depth, etc) with no less than 500psi might not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom