Eating before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audission

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went for a swim in the club pool last night. Unusually for me, I found myself getting cold. I was also starving. Could there be a correlation?

We were always told as kids not to eat anything immediately before going swimming, (which I understood was to prevent cramp? :huh:) Is the same true of diving?

Partly to stay warm, I eat before swimming, I eat before diving, and I eat between dives. No Problem.

The “don’t eat before swimming” admonishment has been pretty well disproved. Here’s just one reference:
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hourwait.asp

the 'wait 30 minutes after you eat to swim' rule was made up by mamas who wanted help cleaning up the kitchen before the kids left to go swimming...

You need to fuel up your body before diving. I can see not eating as you're getting in the water but you need to eat a reasonable time before diving. You burn calories to stay warm and they need to come from somewhere.

audission:
I went for a swim in the club pool last night. Unusually for me, I found myself getting cold. I was also starving. Could there be a correlation?

We were always told as kids not to eat anything immediately before going swimming, (which I understood was to prevent cramp? :huh:) Is the same true of diving?
My biggest problem with eating right before diving is heartburn! Something about the body not wanting to be horizontal or inverted after a meal.

pir8:
You need to fuel up your body before diving. I can see not eating as you're getting in the water but you need to eat a reasonable time before diving. You burn calories to stay warm and they need to come from somewhere.
Very well put and very true.

I went diving once (and only once) while skipping the breakfast. It was the only time I began shivering underwater and had to cut short my dive. Too bad, it was a very interesting dive.

merxlin:
My biggest problem with eating right before diving is heartburn! Something about the body not wanting to be horizontal or inverted after a meal.
Also true, which is why prior to diving you should only eat the food that you would normally eat prior to any other physical activity (tennis, soccer, jogging, skiing...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom