Eating in Cozumel ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok heading to Cozumel on Sept 6th. Looking for some information on which restaurants are open and info on a few of my favorites El Pique, La Nero and Los Oro ( maybe mispelled ) if they are open or not? And as always looking for input from the foodies here on SB....

Hey Mike,

I'll be down on Coz the same time as you, leaving on the 10th. Let me know when you want to make a trip to Nero. I'll be going with a couple of friends.

Craig

Could Los Oro be Los Otates? I think they changed their name but are still in the same location.

Some of my favorite eats are: (no particular order)

Quattro Tacos- 4 Tacos for 7 or 8 dollars. Choice of 8 or so all with a local twist. Across from The Thirsty Cougar.

Pizzeria Punta Sur- owned by a former DM at Aldora. Only craft brewery on the island. Great wood fired pizza and beer. They were heavy on IPA's when I was there and that's not my thing. IPA's taste like three day old Dead fermented skunk ass only ordered by Beer Snobs so they can say...."ooooooh, that's hoppy." Their Amber was very good and I think they had an octoberfest brew as well that was very similar to the best beer in the world....Bohemia Obscura.

New Especias- don't miss this place for a nice dinner. The Lionfish Marsala may be the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. It's not on the menu, but ask for it anyway. Seriously...my mouth is watering as I Type.

Casa Dennis- on the square. May be the oldest restaurant on the island. Order the Sexy Shrimp....not on the menu but you will thank me...unless you have a shellfish allergy and then you will likely be dead...you can thank me later...maybe. It can get touristy, so wait for the ships to leave.

Lobster Shack/la Chef. Lobster shack is owned by the same people that own Quattro Tacos and is one shop down. They do their own version of a lobster roll and have several sauces to fix to your taste. La Chef has moved on to Melgar and I have not eaten there since. Their claim to fame is the Lobster Bacon Sandwich. You should try them both, but per Scuba Board rules you may only like one. Consider your choice carefully, you can't change it later...you can however take years before deciding. (Loophole in the rules)

The Thirsty Cougar...but only when the cruise ships are gone...touristy place but great service and consistently very good food. I like the green chille chicken burrito...maybe they call it pablano....either way, it's really good. They always have Bohemia Obscura and a chilled glass. The closer you get to the holidays, they will have Noche Bueno, a slightly darker beer from the same brewery...it very good too.

Burritos Gordito/Crazy King Burrito. Both very good but a bit of a walk unless you are diving with Blue Magic. They are probably a hundred feet from each other. Crazy King grills their burritos. Both are good, but again, only one can be your favorite.

Zermat bakery- since you have just fed your burrito monster, stop next door for in house baked goodies. Everything is good, and not bad coffee either.

Coffee??? El Coffee Cozumel, behind The Cougar and Pizza Hut. Damn good coffee, I don't care who you are. A double espresso before a dive and I can beat some great white, boat eating, Captain Quint farting, shark ass if needed. Their coffee drinks are better than Starbucks (that's not hard to do) and their baked desserts are all great. The banana cake and apple pie are good, along with their vanilla milkshakes. Don't miss a vanilla milkshake.

Ice cream? Michoacán. there are several on the island but my favorite is just East of the South East corner of the square. A plain vanilla ice cream bar and a piña colada juice drink and I'm a fat happy fatter man.

Guidos- nice place for dinner. The scallops used to be my favorite meal in the island until I had the LF Marsala at New Especias. Great place for date night. Pet the cat for me.

The moral of the story is never ask a fat man where to eat when he is bored.... if you have been to the island much, most of the above will be old news.

Drink a Bohemia Obscura for me, or ten, and safe travels!

Jay

. IPA's taste like three day old Dead fermented skunk ass only ordered by Beer Snobs so they can say...."ooooooh, that's hoppy."

That Happens it be the best explanation of an IPA I have ever heard ..... And the funniest :clapping:

New Especias- don't miss this place for a nice dinner. The Lionfish Marsala may be the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. It's not on the menu, but ask for it anyway. Seriously...my mouth is watering as I Type.

I will have to try this for sure

The Thirsty Cougar...but only when the cruise ships are gone...touristy place but great service and consistently very good food. I like the green chille chicken burrito...maybe they call it pablano....either way, it's really good. They always have Bohemia Obscura and a chilled glass. The closer you get to the holidays, they will have Noche Bueno, a slightly darker beer from the same brewery...it very good too.

Thank for the input I have always just walked past here thinking its a tourist thing and wasnt going to be that good

I frequently stay at Suites Bahia and like the Thirsty Cougar since it is close and the food and beer are good. The food is even better if Alex is in the kitchen which is about 5 days/week. I also like Cieleto Grill which is a block away. Order the pork shoulder there if you are really hungry.

Could Los Oro be Los Otates? I think they changed their name but are still in the same location.
He was talking about El Moro, opens at 1 pm. Menu at El Moro Restaurante Cozumel

Los Otates did have to change their name after being sued by a place of the same name on the mainland, but I think that just crossed a letter out on their sign and everyone still calls it that.

It can get touristy, so wait for the ships to leave.
No ships the rest of the year I don't think. Many shop owners have taken their families to the mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom